Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ignition sticking

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by kyan, Jun 13, 2008.

1. it is becoming increasingly difficult to turn the key on my bike.. can i just squirt some wd40 in there or something?

2. Yep.

Or Inox, Nulube, whatever takes your fancy.

3. If you haven't already, make a copy of your key in case it snaps.

4. Try graphite powder.

5. turn the handle bar and jiggle it abit and it should, the ball barings on the ignition has rusted or it has cracked abit thats why it has a little trouble with the ignition.

it causes by water.

6. Or ur key is a little bent

7. DO NOT use wd40.

Only use graphite. Wd40 acts like a gum that that will destroy the tumbler real quick.

There are no ball bearings in the barrel. They contain brass pins. There is bugger all tolerance in the shear line. Wd40 speeds up the wear process

8. +1 Vic

9. A little trick that often works on clicky door locks was to rub the lead of a pencil (uses graphite) along the key cuts and insert it in and out of the barrel a few times and rubbing the key again. Never tried it with a bike, but I assume it would work too if you want a cheap fix.

With the key turning in the barrel though, could just be that your key is worn down. Make a new cut from another "good" key (you do have one, right?) or you can try inserting the key and pushing either up or down as you turn for a temporary fix. It'll wear out eventually though.

... Otherwise learn how to pick locks and leave the keys at home ;)

10. +1 for Kit's second suggestion. Works for me - original worn key is hard to turn but duplicate key works fine.

11. awesome thanks for the responses