Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ignition steering lock stuck, vx commodore

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. My commodore has suddenly decided to lock itself in the steering lock , have heard it is a common problem with this age of commodores it is a year 2000 model.
    my question for any netriders is, if i as a last resort to get the car going, decided to do the old smash a screwdriver down the ignition barrel to break the steering lock trick?
    would it still then read my key and start after if i put my key back in the barrel?
    i need the car for family stuff, shopping and moving 3 kids can't be done on my bike

2. wd40 and wiggle.
  3. Got it going last night doing that, after about 30 minutes of struggle, it is locked tight again today. Am worried it will lock tight straight away stranding the wife and kids somewhere.
    Can't afford to replace the barrel atm. Apparently they are a pretty rubbish barrel and scar in the back, wearing out and jamming commonly from my searches
  4. Make sure you smash a rear window as well... That way you'll really get the cops attention. ;)
  5. remove the locking component and wire a start button in under the dash.
  6. just like my old mans 73 hq monaro had in its later life, i like it.
  7. Seems as if, that if i just put enough pressure on turning the wheel i should be able to snap the steering lock pins, hopefully then the key will turn
  8. God those were shit cars.

Sorry to hear about the trouble mate.
  9. Do you have a spare key thats not worn? could try that, sometimes worn keys dont unlock tumbles in barrels properly.

you may still be required to turn the key if you rig up a start switch so as to register the transponder key.
  10. Done the wd40?
    The 2000 models etc. have the anti theft code and you'll make a mess of it if you stuff the barrel.
    Take it to a locksmith and have it looked at.
  11. not quite that bad, but close and it'd require more than a couple of minutes work. Not to mention the car would be easily stolen. do as smee says. or wd40. you dont want to force the pins as then you'll need a new key and locks.
  12. Take it apart and remove the barrel. Grind out the steering lock and reassemble.
  13. Trade it in for a ford.
  14. :-s So you know a way to bypass the immoboliser? or trick the reader with a thief device.

Commodores of that era are probably up there as the most stolen, if a crim wants it he will get it regardless, but you can easily make your own secret switches etc and disconect certain harness plugs slightly. Annoying for you but will do a thiefs head in and make it very difficult.

if your going to go to the trouble of drilling or chiseling out the sheer bolts on the column you might aswell spend the extra 15 minutes doing the job properly replacing the barrel. If the barrels ok and its the mechanism in the column jamming, replace it or make it not work anymore :).
  15. I will see tomorrow about getting in at it to remove the barrel. am leaning more towards forcing the wheel till the locking pins break rather than jamming anything down the barrel as a last resort. but then the barrel still may not turn the key even if the wheel can turn
  16. Well finality, i got a old club lock from the garage, clamped it on, and stamped down with all my force, i seem to have snapped 1 of the steering lock pins. now i can move the wheel enough that i can get the key turning and start the car. and the steering also locks
  17. You NEVER put WD40 in a lock.
    It attracts shit.

Blow out with air to remove foreign matter: graphite powder for lubrication.
  18. ^^^^ What he said.

I remember using wd40 in the lock of my first car. Made the pins stay up. could open it with anything that could simply rotate the barrel. At least the key didn't get stuck again lol
  19. i remember using WD-40 in my distributor cap on a old car on wet mornings, caused more problems down the track than it solved