Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ignition lock on GS500

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by SunSport1066, May 24, 2011.

1. I am finding it difficult to insert / remove the key into / from the ignition lock on my bike. The key is the original one and not a replacement. Is it possible to lubricate the lock and if so what would I use? I thought of a product like WD40 but perhaps this would attract dust and over time make the problem worse. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank to all in advance.

2. I've used silicone spray lube on my ignition and seat locks.. works pretty well. does make it easier to insert/turn. But wd40 should be alright.
  3. #3 Bamm-Bamm, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    What you want to use is graphite powder, WD40 is a water dispersant not a lubricant.
  4. +1 Graphite, Silicon spray on the key will be ok too. Not WD40.

Be careful/sparing with the graphite, it gets everywhere. Once used remove the key and wipe it too remove excess graphite. Repeat several times till key remainds clean.
  5. ooh. cool, thanks guys. i've been using wd40 kinda regularly on non crucial stuff like footpegs or the sidestand pivot.. shall stop that.