Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ignition lock issue - graphite or WD40?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Nightowl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I've had a quick search through threads and can't see whether this question has been answered - apologies for reposting if it already has.

I picked up a used '02 Yamaha XVS 650 v-star classic last week. Took it out for first ride yesterday (newbie), got caught in a couple of rainshowers, and after drying it off and attempting to lock it up (with handlebars full left) the key wouldn't turn to the "lock" position.

Would graphite or WD40 perhaps help with this? I use the graphite on other locks but wasn't sure whether it's okay to use on the bike's ignition.

2. Do NOT use WD-40. Graphite IS the lubricant of choice by the locksmiths.
  3. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly rc36 - that's good to know. Will try the graphite.
  4. Wicked - thanks for the info rc36, and thanks for asking the question nightowl - I've been meaning to ask for a week or so now!

How much is it and where can I get graphite from? Bunnings?
  5. Yeah, try your hardware outlets. If you don't have any luck, ring your local locksmith. He'll set you right about price and availability.
  6. Just use it sparingly. It gets over everything.
  7. I had an issue with the wifes old car regarding the drivers side lock sticking. Just took the car to a lock smith and they poured in the graphite and inserted and removed the key a few times. Charged bugger all. Less then $10. It was about 4 years ago so I am unsure of the exact amount.
  8. Or if you're a tight-arse like me (or want a quick solution), take to an HB pencil lead with some sandpaper and tap that into the lock. Lead pencils aren't actually lead, but combinations of graphite and 'other stuff', which works well enough to lubricate locks :wink:

9. Try a RC shop, they use graphite powder as a lubricant on the suspension joins.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Bunnings, but it was about twice the price of the C shop, still only about $15 for more than you will ever need.