Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ignition issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ksystemz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. lately its been getting harder to turn my key to switch on the bike. First off i thought it was the key but the 2nd key is doing the same. Could i put some WD40 as it could be caused by the rain?

2. Try using a pencil and rubbing it along the cuts on the key. The graphite will act as a lube and will make a lot less mess than an oily key in your pocket.

Same goes for the house keys if you've got any clicky locks :]

3. Graphite is good. Using a pencil probably won't do much though, You should be able to buy powdered graphite in a "puffer" bottle from a hardware shop. Puff some into the lock and then use the key to turn the lock a few times to distribute it.

Warning: Use carefully. It is a fine powder and very, very black and gets everywhere. If you use it check the key is clean before you put it back in your pocket.

Alternative try a silicone based lube like Eazy-Glide. Also available at Hardware shop. Spray into lock and onto key. It dries off after a miute or so leaving a slippery film of silcone lube.

Don't use oil, WD-40 or the like. It may be slippery when wet but doesn't do anything much once it's dried. It is likely to flush off any graphite or dry lube in the lock. It may also make the innards sticky and colect dust and goo to make things worse.

If all this fails it is likely the tumblers in the lock and key are starting to wear to the point where they don't mesh well. In which case a new switch may be in order.