Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

If you like plenty of torque then this could be for you

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jd, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Seems the dutch have found an alternative to simply finding the largest engine that will fit into a bike frame to produce disturbingly large amounts of torque. There's an interesting write-up (see below) on the thunderstar concept which is powered by a turbo-diesel. So what do people reckon, does turbo-diesel have a future for bikes or is this what happens when you relax the drug laws?

2. 250 Nm would be kinda cool. It'd be a wheelie machine.
  3. Diesel? You mean like a tractor?

If we wanted to ride agricultural machinery wouldn't we all have Harleys already? :LOL:
  4. Nah, diesels stink!!!
  5. I drove a Renault Megane 1.9 turbo diesel for a while and it was terrible. Definately not a fan of diesel engines at all.
  6. Tell you what...........with variable cams and other nicks they are inventing for diesels nowdays, they are slowly crawling up to petrol engines. Just have a look at Euro4 exaust systems, you can breathe exaust fumes!!! Question is fow far they are gonna push it. I doubt it that it will come in some wide production for bikes tough. Imagine Vtwin vs. inline 4 discussions then :D Diesel spill on your tank won't be a pretty sight as well!
  7. Most people associate diesel with smelly trucks & tractors (see above) - but the modern engines are remarkably high-tech and generally better for the environment than their petrol counterparts.

Diesel bike is certainly a good concept to play with: though convincing the sportsbike crowd away from their 12-14,000RPM screamers is already a difficult task!
  8. EDIT: forgot to add the other advantage of diesel, as noted on that website...

Fuel Economy: 2.5L/100km.

Not bad for a 1200. ;)
  9. But how would you hook up the bogey trailer, and the combine harvester and the slasher??
    And wouldn't it get bogged with those narrow tyres?
    And what about in wet weather, it doesn't even have a cabin?

Oh, what's that you say, it's a MOTORBIKE??? Oh, sorry, I thought it was a new Dutch tractor, sorry, sorrysorry
  10. I like article number 3 from the Top 50 most popular articles in Motorcycles of that website.hehehe
  11. cooooool! :p