Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

If you’re not getting on or off the freeway…

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by FALCON-LORD, May 8, 2010.

1. Just recently I had an experience riding with a friend on a 4 lane freeway, in which he elected to travel for a rather long distance in the left hand lane.

I am going to make my view on this subject absolutely plain.
    On a freeway with more than two lanes, If you have not just gotten on the freeway, or are not about to get off the freeway. You have Absolutely No Business being in the far left lane.

Look if you are tired of living, then go for it. But if you want to have a fun healthy life on a bike, get the F#$k out of the left lane. You are forced to endlessly manage people merging in and out of the lane getting on and off the freeway. It is seriously the most dangerous place to be.

Obviously for you poor L and P platers in NSW with your completely #$#ked 80kph limit, you may have to stay left but for every one else. Get out of there!
  2. Um... WTF?
  3. Agree, centre lane gives you more options to dodge problems.
  4. Yeah but I don't understand why he's angry about it.
  5. Bike position on freeway.

Probably NOT the best subject title for such an important bit of road craft - but an important point nevertheless!

Dear noobs, when riding on a freeway or multi-lane highway, don't ride in the left lane unless you have to. If you HAVE to, make sure you take a GOOD LOOK OVER YOUR RIGHT SHOULDER as you approach an exit... there's a very good chance a vehicle to your right and/or to your right and behind you is making a dive for that exit... you may very well meet in an unfortunate kind of way.

It's also not a brilliant place to be when traffic is merging onto the freeway - traffic can bunch up at on ramps and you're the sandwich meat if you're not careful.

IMO, just avoid the left hand lane altogether. The middle lanes give you the most options.
  6. Agreed Rob, but still don't understand the anger. I'm always in middle or right lane personally apart from when I had a flat tyre and before that when I was on L's
  7. F-L is a passionate fellow.
  8. I'm a passionate chick.

Ah well.
  9. I like to travel in the far right lane and sit on precisely an indicated 100 kph. I never look in my rear-view mirrors so I assume it's not causing any problems. La la la la.
  10. Angry?
    That isn’t angry it is just punctuating a point.
    After giving up on the stupidity, and moving right, then meeting my friend at the destination because I wasn’t gong to put my life on the line for something that made no sense) I made mention of this road craft element to him, and he argued the point “I didn’t see any danger”
    Seriously If you can’t see how that is dangerous, then there is your first problem.
    So I want to ensure that when I state this, people don’t take it as just a flippant piece of casual advice, but understand that this represents a life or death decision.
  11. I hear you.
  12. lol, yeah you'll never catch me in the left lane. Even the middle lane can be hectic sometimes with people who have just entered desperately trying to get out of the left lane so they dont get slowed down by trucks etc
  13. hes married ;)
  14. Re: Bike position on freeway.

You offering to pay all fines accured for not keeping left unless over taking?

What a nice guy. Fine is in the mail to you cheers :biker::beer:
  15. Ah, a contrary lot aren't we. Meanwhile in another thread there is rage and angst at car drivers who stick at the speed limit or under in the far right lane. The law is quite simple. You must keep left. It makes no exceptions for motorcycles or newbies.

Rob, F-L I must respectively disagree. If you are riding on a freeway, you should keep left, observe other traffic at all times and be prepared. What irritates me the most about drivers is there total lack of ability to read ahead. If you are approaching an entry ramp, expect people to merge into you. Solution? Well before the entry ramp, indicate right and move into that lane. Once you have passed the entry ramp, move back. As you approach exit lanes, be aware that traffic might merge across you and also stop or slow suddenly on the exit due to congestion. Solution? Move to the right lane before you get there.....See, it isn't difficult and is pretty much 101 for simple road craft. If you can't handle that, then a freeway is not the place for you at that stage of your riding career.

If everyone didn't use the left most lane, the lane would be empty. And that would be silly.

It's worth also noting that riding in the middle lane means you have cars and trucks passing either side of you, sometimes at speed and with perhaps a metre or so clearance, depending on where you are sitting in the lane. Unless you intend to be spooked every few seconds, then that requires constant scanning of your mirrors as well as the road ahead. Using the left most lane is not only the correct lane (legally) to occupy (unless overtaking), it also means you should only get passed to the right, lightening some of the load.
  16. I meant about the anger part lol.

I'm not on a forum to pick up!

But I understand where he's coming from.
  17. +1000 cejay.
    KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING!!! The rule applies to everyone, not just Volvos and 90 year olds. If you can't manage avoiding merging traffic then you shouldn't be on the freeway
  18. All this is true but what is legal and how you ride changes depending on traffic. When heavy, you can ride in the right lane and that's where I place myself in those conditions.
    Because merging/exiting traffic in left lane can be a nightmare on exit-entry ramps.
    Middle lanes can have traffic moving onto you on both sides at the same time.
    Right lanes have less exit-entry lanes.
    Right lanes usually have an emergency lane you can use as an exit point should someone veer over.
    And many right lanes (Eastern Fwy in Melb) have transit lanes where MCs are allowed.

In light traffic, I would stay in the left and move over well in advance when approaching exit-entry ramps.
  19. Joe, my post was in response to this:

and this:

It is obvious and does not need mentioning that in heavy traffic, or when the left lane is travelling at a speed slower than you are travelling that staying in a lane other than the far left may be appropriate. Rob and F-L were quite categoric in their advice and I am pointing out both the legal and safety flaw in that advice.
  20. So the safest solution is hammering up the far right lane at 140?