Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

if traffic stopped is it still considered lane splitting??

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by cheky, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Guys,
    I picked up my bike from the shop after having a few little mods put on. They others thought it would be good to go for a ride down to chapel street for a kebab (lamb on chpel is great).

Well traffic was banked up so traffic is completly stopped so i proceed and go through the middle of the lane to the front of the lights.

Mr police office in a unmarked car pulls me over and ask what do i think im doing. I said i moved to the front of the pack as all cars were stopped and he then gives me the lecture about lane splitting and how i could get cleaned up by a car pulling out.

Is it just me or are motorcyclist allowed to move to the front of the pack when the traffic lights are red and no one is moving? I was always under the impression that you cant lane split while cars are in motion but can move to the front at traffic lights if cars are stopped.

Well after the 15 minute lecture compliments the bike and says have a nice night but next time he will be giving me a fine for lane spliting.

anyone know if this is right.

2. Pretty much. I seem to recall both being illegal, you were lucky he let you off. No evidence, someone will post up the relevant bit of the law, I am sure.
  3. Check the stickies under useful links and next time post the state you were caught in.
    lucky i only locked this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.