Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

If the motorcycle was invented today????

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Just have been musing in my head tonight on the thought, of What if the motorcycle was only just invented today

What do you think it's chances of being accepted would be if some inventor announced he had made this small versatile machine that helps ease congestion burns less fuel, yet still has outstanding performance manouvreability and is great fun to ride.

That it can adapt many of the already exisiting car features in engines and braking

that it is much cheaper and uses fewer resources to build ect

Without the preconcieved and strong held beliefs of some of the general population that they have now of us all being hoons, temporary australians, affiliated to organised crime through bikie gangs ect,.

Do you believe it would ever be allowed on to the roads, or would the safety lobbies and nanny state ensured it never saw the light of day on our roads.

Just the musings of my mind at this time, anyone have any opinions?
  2. Would also be interesting to think what they couldn't learn with a 1st generation prototype and where they would start if it was made today.
    And what they may miss that we now take for granted through years of development and racing
  3. They'd be outlawed in a heartbeat. The inventor would be locked up in an institution for the criminally insane and the public would be protected by never being told about the thing.
  4. Yeah the "wrap everyone it cotton wool and medicate them with television" crowd would never allow them.
  5. Just imagine the outrage on Today Tonight et al.
    "The new invention killing your kids, stealing your jobs, making us obese, poisoning the water supply and driving up grocery prices! Our experts give you the inside scoop on the two-wheeled terror that's sending your house price down and kidnapping puppies. Story at 6!"
  6. Yeah there will be an ACA report on murdercycles in between shonky builders and old people getting ripped off.
  7. It would depend on marketing.
    Given the premise, there would be no stigma attached, and the 1%'ers would be organised around, say, Sandman Panel Vans, for starters.
    And if the traffic and environmental advantages were pushed hard enough, it might just get up.
    I think however, that all the restrictions we (should be) fighting now would be defaults: think high-vis, nothing over about 400cc's, ABS, TCS and transponders for all...
  8. quad bikes..........
    think of how quad bikes are now, that would be how they would be treated.
  9. I don't think our current anti-risk society would accept an internal combustion engine at all if it were invented today.
  10. I tend to agree that it would never be allowed. Certainly not in Oz. Maybe somewhere like the US where all sorts of whacky vehicles have been (sort of, at least) road legal.

Likely bans aside, though, it's interesting to speculate on what a motorcycle designed from a clean sheet might look like. Maybe it wouldn't be the basic "bicycle-with-an-engine" configuration which even the most advance production machines still follow. Feet-forward with hub centre steering, weather and crash protection perhaps. I still reckon a BMW C1 with some balls would make a useful means of transport.
  11. Let's see how they treat electric bikes when they arrive. That will tell us whether it's really about 'safety' , or just political correctness.
  12. Front swing arm suspension with hub steering, neutral frame geometry, fairings designed with "style" rather than anything actually useful. And a shit load of electronic crap you don't need and will probably never want.
  13. I think it'd be closer to Scooter lines. For the most part, todays market doesn't want something that messy, smelly or noisy. I'm imagining something like an Ipod with wheels. All sealed up and very clean lines.

ESP/ABS/Electrikeried to the max.
  14. Arent the KIWI's about to or have released an 80cc bike? I am sure I read somewhere just recently, looked like road / trail style...
    If they can do it why not an auzzee built??
  15. Dont forget the gyroscope so they dont fall over when you foprget to put your feet down..
  16. And mandatory training wheels while you're on your P's...

17. And the issue with that would be?
  18. In theory, nothing. In practice, the fact that no-one has yet actually managed to build one that is not demonstrably inferior to a conventional front end in at least one important area :D.
  19. Perhaps, but a conventional front end is not demonstrably superior in all important areas.

While I don't have any direct experience (hey, this is the internets), James Parker had a red hot go with his GSX-RADD (Google is your friend).

Production-wise, the rep of the GTS1000 is admittedly bad, while I don't know about Bimota's offering
  20. Don't get me wrong, from an engineering point of view tele-forks are, frankly, shithouse. However, they do have the advantage, over pretty much everything else, of 60 years and millions, if not billions of dollars of development to make them work pretty adequately in spite of their shortcomings.

That certainly doesn't rule out the development of better hub-centre front ends. After all, it is important to remember that many early tele-forks were greatly inferior in performance to the best girder set-ups of the time. Their main advantage was economy of manufacture. Nonetheless, they quickly overhauled the girder and had entirely replaced it in a matter of a decade or so, apart from a few mopeds. Quick bit of trivia. Allegedly the last girder forked, rigid rear motorcycle in series production was the Phillips Panda moped :D.

However it does make it difficult for the cottage-industry concerns who've been the major adopters so far to come up with something that not only works as well as a good set of teles but works sufficiently better (God, my old grammar teacher is almost certainly rotating at high speed for this sentence :D) to justify the additional cost, complication, parts count and multiplication of wear prone linkages and pivots. Not to mention trying to keep unsprung weight down.

Until one or more of the big manufacturers throws some serious dollars at the issue I don't really see things changing. Credit to Yamaha for giving it a go but their effort looks a bit like the mainstream turbos of the early '80s, ie a bit half arsed and introduced and dropped before it was properly developed.

I certainly haven't ridden a Bimota Tesi (or any other Bimota for that matter) but I read an awful lot of reviews on it when it came out in '92 or thereabouts. From memory it didn't really do anything any better than its conventional stablemates whilst costing a even more of a motza. Stunning engineering but lacking much practical point.

Mind you, this thread is about how motorcycles might appear if invented now, so I guess the history is not really that relevant. Nor is the fact that motorcyclists are, as a species, pretty conservative whatever they may like to claim to the contrary and so won't buy anything that doesn't look like a bicycle with an engine attached to its bottom bracket :twisted:. Not in sufficient numbers for anyone to turn a profit anyway.