Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

If I ruled Australia

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bravus, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Normally when I blog something that I think might be of interest here I copy and paste the text here to save people following the link. This time there's enough formatting that would be broken by doing that that I've just brought the link:

Check it out if you plan to live in The Future...
  2. great read bravus! i think i'm going to spend an immense amount of time reading your previous blog posts now :)

Very positive theories and ideas... i think my significant other would hate the idea of a 'methane tax' in this household he he. I would cost s too much!

I'm not too sure on the idea of nuclear power as a fix. But i haven't researched or at least read about the improvemnts on safety etc in that field. And that is where mine (and most peoples') fears for that road would come from. But as australia has one of the largest amounts of uranium, i can see this as a great way to preserve our fossil fuels for later use if needed...
    Similar issues with the hydrogen fuelled batteries for cars. my first thought with hydrogen is of course blimps :p now i'm positive he have improved in the use of it now a days, but is it really that safe/user friendly to be put into cars? And why haven't they thought of that yet instead of these electric cars that use up more of our fossil fuels!!!

again, great read. thanks bravus :D
  3. Thanks Browny!

With the nuclear, the plants are far safer and better constructed - and even Chernobyl, which was old and badly constructed required complete idiots to intentionally turn off later after layer of interlocked safety systems before the accident occurred. And Australia is leading the world in research into 'synrock', a way of turning nuclear waste into rock so that it can't leak and cause contamination.

With the hydrogen, (a) the Hindenberg blimp disaster was apparently caused my by a flammable paint on the outside of the bags than the hydrogen inside and (b) they're looking at fuel tanks with 'metal hydride' inside, so that the gas is stored in near-solid form absorbed into a lattice... even if the tank ripped open it could only burn slowly, not explode.

There are definitely solutions... here or on the way. I should have mentioned, though, that public education to assuage the fears is a huge part of the whole process.
  4. You should add:
    1. Mandate that Australian uranium is only sold to 100% Australian owned companies, who will then own and operate all nuclear plants it is use in, with full technology transfer to the Australian companies. That should help the Australian economy.
    2. Build 50 nuclear plants around Australia, and use all the excess power to run desalination plants, then green Australia with the water provided.
    3. Use the economic windfall created by the above to accelerate research of fusion, better waste disposal, and other energy sources, in addition to improving existing nuclear power stations.
    4. Then replace nulcear plants with solar farms as the technology matures, and use the shade provided on these farms in the middle of the desert to literally farm the land, by protecting crops from our harsh climate and creating mini climate zones beneath the solar panels.
    5. Provide incentives for intelligent and motivated people to move to Australia, and live in the new green areas created through watering and farming the central Australia. At the same time, institute population management procedures to prevent the breeding of even more useless people, while encouraging and enabling intelligent and motivated people to have more kids, and ensuring that they have the opportunity for an excellent education. Aim for a population of 200 million, with an average IQ of 160.
    6. Finally, take the still overflowing profits from providing power to the world to create a space industry, primarily to generate and deliver more power from space, but also to extend zero gravity research and manufacturing, and then to commence asteroid mining.
    7. With mining and dirty manufacturing now off planet, commence work cleaning up and greening the world.
    8. In the sixth century of your plan, with Mars terraformed and capable of independently maintaining a strong and productive population, buy the rest of the world and take it over from any remaining government, then commence redeveloping all civilisation to be more sustainable with less population and less impact on the environment. Make Earth a garden world, full of playgrounds. Commence the colonisation of other planets and moons in our solar system, and our journey to other star systems.

We can but dream. But what we dream is the start of what we do.
  5. Many excellent suggestions there, Roderick. May I have your permission to copy and paste them as a comment to the blog post?

...or you could...
  6. And will we get trains that run on time before or after the asteroid mining?
  7. Nice one Rod, been reading Dune much eh? :D Population control is one of the biggest issues.. enforcing it however is a real moral dilema though. Maybe genetics will allow us to predict the IQ of a foetus, and if below a certain amount it gets terminated. Population and inteligence control in one fun easy step!

Might have a bit of difficulty finding people willing to serve you fast food, take away your garbage, etc. when everyone is wanting to go to uni and become a mathematician though..

Some very interesting stuff Bravus, and surely one day we'll be able to harness solar power in a more efficient and meaningful way. For some reason people aren't willing to talk about the fact that animals (livestock) are the/one of the biggest contributors to the problem. Simply eating less meat is therefore a pretty green thing to do. Not sure how much luck you'll have convincing many people to switch to roos though =D
  8. Now now, phizog. If we get rid of all the stupid people, who will run things??
  9. Done. But I did get a connection error, and when I tried again, it said the second one was a duplicate. . . so it is probably there, awaiting your approval.

Actually I am reading "Paul of Dune, The Epic Sequel to Dune" right now. :D

Overpopulation of the world by humans, and all of its associated problems, is one of my Big Issues. I didn't need Dune to remind me.

All we need do is stop financially encouraging, rewarding and supporting people who aren't intelligent enough to support themselves, can't see the stupidity of having children when they can't even support themselves, and don't have the sense to take the morning after pill if they think it might be necessary. I support freedom of choice, but don't advocate abortion or genetic selection of children. While some people will never aspire to higher learning, most can achieve a lot just through good food and exercise while growing up, and an interesting and relevant education.

Automation. All those smart people will build better robots. :) Oh, and some smart people like to have a simple job as a backup, while they write their latest thesis, or as a lifestyle choice.

Sorry. All that was a bit serious.
  10. It wont matter. Moving lots of people across town or to the centre of it, every day, and then home again, is just primitive and a bad idea.

Manual workers will telecommute and drive robots anywhere in the world or in space. Intellectual workers will telecommute and communicate via the NBN and its successors. All this will be built by the smart people, and paid for or subsidised by the massive profits from owning 55% of the power industry world wide.
  11. Comment didn't seem to come up on the blog, so I copied and pasted. It's been being a bit difficult lately, and I think the theme, though pretty, is the culprit. Time to go back to a duller but more functional one, I think...
  12. "Manual workers will telecommute and drive robots anywhere in the world or in space. Intellectual workers will telecommute and communicate via the NBN and its successors."

"Surrogates" wasn't that great a movie but it showed the folly of a society where you never needed to get out of your pyjama's. We don't move enough as it is right now...
  13. out of curiosity, how were you planning on feeding those 200 million people? secondly, you do know there is a sterotypical side effect to the mensa community dont you?

I agree rob, exercise should be half hour to hour a day minimum and mandatory, as well as family sundays etc.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, what is going to happen to the country riding roads?
  14. Surrogate took a great idea and made a stupid, petty story out of it. We separate work and home life now. No reason work life couldn't involve sitting in a chair controlling a remote machine, so that we get all our commute time back to go out and enjoy ourselves with our family and friends . . . and get more exercise.

Besides, full immersion remote control with full integration with your brain is a long long way off. Driving a machine is likely to be much less appealing than walking around in your skin for at least that long. There is the benefit of no compensation claims with back injuries, death at work, and so on as well.

Imagine the savings in resources if no-one had to commute to work? Sure, you burn more energy running the machines, but that is non-poluting nuclear energy. :)
  15. You didn't read it all did you?

If everyone has an IQ of 160+, there will be no Mensa effect. We will all be the same.
  16. Predictions of the future, even from relatively close range, can be hilariously inaccurate.

Most of the ideas expressed so far involve one thing; the partial or complete removal of human freedoms by edict 'from above'. And, as anyone who's read Animal Farm, which turned out to be remarkably prescient, knows, that is a recipe for disaster.
  17. Well I plead an original idea Roderick.

When I first heard about the movie, someone laid out the concept about VR machines that let you be whatever you wanted to be, do whatever you wanted to do... and before they even launched into the plot, I instantly saw all the pitfalls of a society based on such machines and had that conversation.

If you're talking about certain difficult/dangerous jobs, then sure, a surrogate makes sense, but everybody having one to live life??

hahahaha, Mr Fusion's for EVERYONE!
  18. I posited the notion of a benevolent dictator in the original post because it seems to me the only way to get policy made with a long term view. Democracy's big flaw is that it rewards short term thinking - only as far as the next election. So rather than (what I still think are) these rather utopian plans, we'll limp along, never solving anything, just band-aiding the minimum possible, and living a lifestyle that is inferior to what we could have had.
  19. Benevolent dictator has always been an ideal, but with the almost limitless power that would be available to such a person, who would be pure of heart enough to be trusted with it?
  20. That's definitely true. I guess I'd nominated myself, and I think I'm a pretty decent sort of person, but I know myself well enough to know that if I could do *anything* I wanted without repercussions I'd be bound to oppress someone sooner or later.