Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idling question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by captainmorgan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. I just got my Suzuki GSF250V serviced at Stafford Yamaha. They seemed to have done a good job. But I've noticed they have turned down the idle. It used to idle at around 1400, now it's more like 800 or 900.
    I was just wondering what other people's bikes idle at.
    I don't like the feel of it idleing so low and it's also much quieter at low speed. I can hardly hear my bike when I'm splitting at the lights.

2. Nothing wrong with having a high idle, if you prefer it there then just adjust it back to that point.
    Im not sure on what the service manual says for the GSF but i'd imagine the factory idle is meant to be about 1000-1100rpm.
  3. Owners manual for the GSF250V recommends an idle speed between 1400 and 1600 rpm when the engine's warm.
  4. Thanks. Guess I'll have to wind it up a bit then.
  5. That does sound a bit low. It will creep up over summer and keep in mind a small increase in dile will warm the bike more and thus increase the idle.

I prefer to run the idle as low as possible.
  6. yeah as low as possible. but i like to have that lil bit reving, so when i clutch out slowly the bike crawls subtly with out any action on the throttle at all
  7. Hi can someone PM me and tell me how to do this?

They did the same thing (turned my idle right down) when my bike was serviced today and I am very depressed about it. :-({|=
  8. i know i will cop the flame throwers for this. The higher the idle the more the load/crunch when you shift gears. I am not mechanical enough to have knowledge of how much extra wear this causes.
  9. I hope you're wearing a flameproof suit...

How can it cause extra wear? Idle speed has nothing to do with wear, there's a clutch located between the engine and gearbox, do you use yours?!

It will not cause premature wear. If anything, the engine will setle back to idle speed a smidgeon slower, helping to match the revs when upshifting/downshifting.

10. And right back at you - i said i wasn't a mechanic but even i can understand basics. Get a 1 pound hammer and a 2 pound hammer and drop each on your foot, which is going to do more damage. Even with the clutch you have an amount of tension in the drive line, if you thump in 1500 revs you are putting more stress on than 800.
  11. You're right Mithel. Perhaps wear wasn't the right word, but you definetly apply more stress each time you put it in gear. Holding the clutch in longer will help.
  12. Yep, You're right 'stress' was a better term, Thanks.