Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idling Issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by thefloppy1, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Hi all,
    Firstly I have two questions, but I suspect they are both related.

I have Ducati Monster (2002), Starting the bike when it is cold is a real prick. Turns over for a long time before it finally starts to fire. Even after it starts, I have to keep the revs up at around 3000 RPM cause if I let it idle (before it warms up) at around 1200RPM and add in any throttle it seems to flood and die.

The 2nd part is that when the bike is hot, and like being stuck in traffic, it seems to want to idle around 2000-2500 RPM, (the hotter the faster it idles). Yes it is an air cooled engine, but this being my first road bike, it is also the first time I have come across this, never had it with any dirt bike I had (Of course they were also two stroke).

Any suggestions?

EDIT** Before I forget the Throttle has about 4 or 5 mm of play in it. just incase something is thinking that the cable my have been adjusted incorrectly.

cheers
    Scott

2. my bikes a prick to start in the cold too, have to do same thing although i woudl asume your bike should have something to keep its idle as its newer and is Fuel injected. (summers comming up so might not matter as much, but get it checked up if you find its annoying, dealer/mechanic/other duke owner)

yea as bike gets warmer it can idle higher, thats for carbies anyway.dont know if this applys to FI bikes but being warmer the petrol detonates easier and provides a quicker burn, thus increasing the rev's.
    be careful in traffic as you dont wana overheat your bike, esp in summer.

3. It's a Duke. Serves you right. :LOL:

4. @Willzah, I am getting to checked, I am going to take it down the guys at Motoheaven. I will get the carbies balanced/cleaned and tuned. It wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't been tuned other than when it came out of the factory.

@DarkHorse, quite possibly.... But it looks sooo damn good...