Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idlening problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Conorkc, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Hi All,

Just put the carbies back on the bike after a clean. The bowls were pretty spotless so I only wiped it down with carby cleaner and a cloth and shot some carby cleaner through the jets. I didn't adjust the screws, or jet positions.

When I fitted them back on the bike this afternoon, it started no bother and I took it for a spin for approx 20 mins. During the spin, I noticed once warn it was idling about 3k rpm. When I got back, I turned the idling screw back 1 turn and the bike died. I could get it started with throttle turned but not idle.

I turned the idle screw back up and let the bike cool. I started it again cold and let it idle while warming up, it didn't idle smoothly and I need to tweak the idling screw down to stop it increasing revs. Also for some reason the choke will cut the bike out, not sure why that is.

Bike is a 2005 Kawasaki ER5, 32k km's. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Sounds like you have an air leak. Perhaps you forgot to reconnect a vacuum pipe, or left a manifold clamp loose?

What was the reason for cleaning the carbs in the first place? Did the problem exist before you cleaned the carbs?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. The reason fr the clean, is the bike died outside my work after going over a few sped bumps. I got it started but I thought that the reason that it stopped was dirt in the Carb. I opened the drain port on both carbs and on the left one some water then petrol with some grit in it came down. On the other nothing came down at all.

It is all connected back correctly as far as I know, but I followed the service manual. I will have a look at the clamps and vacuum lines this afternoon.

Thanks for the help mate :)
  4. If you found some water in the carbs, then it might be worthwhile removing the fuel tank, remove fuel tap, and drain the contents into a clean container to see what's in there. May have to refill tank with the fuel you just drained, and then repeat the process a few times to thoroughly flush the tank out.
  5. So not even fuel came out of the second bowl? That part sounds odd to me but im no mechanic
  6. @newbieacross, the little port was jammed with sand/grit. when I got the carb off that is what I found. It is clean now though.

@Tinkerer, just had a look at her there. The boots from the air-box to the carb were folded up at the bottom.I just straightened them there and it is purring like a kitten. Needed a flash light to see the fold as the clamp made it look like the boot was on okay. Lesson learned :oops:.Thanks for your help, kind regards.
    • Like Like x 1