Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idle Speed

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Matchstick01, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Hey, my cbr250rr is idleing low. Its only reving about 800rpm, and most people say it should be idleing up around 1500rpm. I think I've found the idle speed adjuster (little knob behind the chrome rr's that can be turned), can i adjust it while the engines on, or am i best not to touch it at all. I don't wanna take it to a mechanic if i don't have to.

2. When was the last time you had the bike tuned?
    I'm not sure on the CBR of what is required in tuning.

However i do know that in an across, adjusting the idler setting could cause more problem is it is other components causing the issue. ie on the across throttle slide holder wear approx every 10000kms. And ajdusting the idler would not solve the issue but make things worse.
  3. I dunno when it was last tuned. I only got it a few days ago. Its 2006 compliance, so i don't know if they did anything to it then. Was mainly worried that most people online say should be bout 1,500rpm, and mines not even close to that. Engine stalls in nuetral unless i keep revin it when the enigines cold. I would have thought a higher idle would fix that somewhat.
  4. 1500 sounds high for a four stroke
  5. Engine Idle Speed : 1,500rpm ± 100rpm. only way to adjust it precisely is with the engine on.
  6. You can get specifications Here
  7. :oops:
    shows what i know about them....
    man i have lost touch.
  8. 1500 rpm sounds like a good target. Small engines and they work hard with a big rev range so it's got to idle high enough to keep good oil pressure.

The book says 1300 - 1500 rpm for my 650 Hyo.
    Mates new ZX-10 has a warm target of 1100 rpm.
    F1's idle around 4000 rpm - tiny flywheel and minimal inertial weight.
  9. Forgot to add earlier , yes idle should be around 1500rpm usually for a 250 inline four.
  10. yea 1500 sounds spot on but dont forget adjust the idle when the motor is warmed up ie after a ride and when you adjust it blip the motor (rev it a little) to settle it.