Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idle speed adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by threetwelve, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Gday netriders, was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem i've been having with my ZXR250c.

The poor thing has been a bit neglected of late, but I'm trying to get her going again now that exams are over, the problem I have is, the idle speed adjustment doesn't seem to work.

The way i used to start my bike was by adjusting the idle so it would start, and then adjusting it again when the bike got going (not sure if this is proper, but it seemed to work best)

But now the idle adjustment knob feels like it might have been disconnected or something, could I have possibly unwound it to far? Or would the cable have been damaged somehow? And is this reasonably easy to fix or do i need to go to a shop?

Appreciate any help whatsoever :D
  2. Mate if you had to adjust the idle rather than use choke, the carbies need servicing anyway. Pulling them off will reveal any mechanical anomalies.
  3. What he said... Idle speed adjustment is not a daily task, unless you're a stunter.
  4. Cheers for that. I'll book it in for a service when I next have the cash, I don't think the carbies are something I can do myself :)

Thanks for the replies
  5. if you don't have the cash for a service try this stuff
    worked on my old 250 when the carbs played up. you might
    get lucky.
    you need to be able to ride the bike though. can you start it?
    (ps reduce the amount as a bike fuel tank is smaller than a cars)
  6. Thanks for the tip, If I can get the bike to start and go properly I'll definatly give it a go.

At the moment I can only get it to idle with a lot of choke, and I haven't been able to get it to not conk out when i try and open the throttle.

Back to my original question. Is it possible the Idle Adjustment itself could be disconnected/broken. Even if I don't adjust if often, I'd like to set it to something a little better than it is set now.
  7. idle adjustment is nothing more than a really long screw. The amount the screw is "screwed in" determines how closed the throttle will be when you let it go.
    Idle adjustment is nothing more than a physical barrier that opens your throttle (same as the twisty bit on the grip).

But it could be broken, it wont be causing the issues your having though.