Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Idiots on our roads...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tomek, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Atm am saving for my bike, while driving in the cage i seem to drift off and think about riding the bike more and more often... back in the old days seeing a car get sideways through a corner was amusing but now just thinking off what would happen to me if i was on a bike and he lost control in front of me...
    So how do you deal with idiots on the road? Are you real jumpy? as soon as you hear tires screeching your concentration rises ten fold?

Share your stories.
  2. Just wait til you start riding mate, your awareness shoots through the roof, you can spot a dickhead, a wandering mind or a confused elderly driver miles away.

More often than not, you just get a spidey sense tingle that says "go sit over there in *that* lane" and sure enough the spot you were in a second ago has something berserk happen in it.

Your first few months of riding should be very defensive. After that, and once you're confident, I've found it safest to be a very offensive, active and angry-looking road user - it gets you seen, lets people know *exactly* what you want to do, and gets you out of trouble before a mountain turns into a molehill.

Plus, it's fun. :twisted:
  3. What LOZ said.

In addition to what Loz said, LEARN ABOUT ROADCRAFT.

Get the ridesmart video / DVD. Take advanced skill courses. Get plenty of saddle time. Study human nature as you ride around and it'll come second nature.
  4. :LOL:

I tend to make snap judgements about drivers on their behavier and their cars, anybody that looks dodgy I stay the hell away from. All the others I just expect to do stupid stuff.
  5. Yes, you tend to develop a healthy and sadly accurate set of predjudices based on everything from age, race and sex, to car type, stickers on car, neighbourhood you're in, time of day and even driver hairstyles.

Not that you think too much about it, it all becomes part of the spidey sense.
  6. mmmm the force is strong in you. learn to control it you must. yes.
  7. And cars have 'body language'. You learn to interpret small changes in sped and road placement that tell you what the driver is thinking about. e.g. a slight drifting to one side of the lane often indicates an intention to change lanes well before any significant movement. A slight slowing can indicate either icdecision or confusion on the part of the driver. Both are warning signs.

When I'm driving with my SO, she gets sick of me telling her what other drivers are about to do.
  8. Yep, there are heaps of them, except for you and I and I have my doubts about you. :LOL:
  9. I thought "dickhead" covered that. And yeah, guilty as charged!
  10. Yeah I agree....I ride every morning through peak hour traffic, down the Princess Highway to work, and again back home.....

Some days it's real cruisey and the traffic flows nicely,and I just plod along for half an hour or so till I arrive.

Other days I have to fight for every inch of road, it feels like bloody war-zone. On days like that, I use the whole lane left-right, speed up slow down, out of blind spots, just to make sure that I get seen.

I remember one morning where I saw a dude eating his cereal, from a bowl, with milk whilst driving down Queen Street (melb) at 8am. No chance of him seeing a THING

:cool: :cool:
  11. I try to stay as paranoid on the road as possible.

If I start to day dream, I give myself a quick mental slap to snap myself out of it- goes a bit like this...

Brain- Wake up you f%&k!

Me- whaaaa? But it's so nice relaxing with the sun heating up my leathers...

Brain- See that car next to you? It's about to change lanes without indicating, and it's gonna f%$k you up!

Me- Ok I'm concentrating again.

It's too easy to miss things when you're on auto pilot on a bike.
  12. I remember when I first got my bike licence (all those years ago, hehe, all 2 of them!) I was really jumpy about traffic, very nervous too, but it really doesnt take long to get used to reading traffic, spotting hazards etc, to the point where now, when I'm stuck in my stupid car, i am much more aware of what is happening around me, am seeing more and more amazingly stupid things going on...
    I also find wearing nice bright gear helps others to see me, giving myself the best possible chance i suppose on roads where car drivers seem to think motorbikes are a myth, not really real, so you dont need to look for them...
  13. Nice bright gear works huh? My intensive investigations seem to suggest otherwise :(
  14. your intensive investigations? can you please elaborate? I know i only have limited experience, but would like to know if i am misguided..

as my bike is all black, i have a lot of red on my jacket, and it seems to work, makes me stand out a little more, anythings gotta help, surely?