Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Identifying old (early 60s?) dirt race bike pics

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by professordog, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I know someone who is trying to identify some old photos they have turned up. No further info. Any ideas?

2. I think the photos are a bit more recent than that.
    I'm pretty sure that the top photo features a Maico circa 1970 model judging by the leading axle forks and angular tank.
  3. Amaroo Park motocross track?
  4. I was thinking the same thing...but they would have to be running in reverse mode. The lower one looks like the end of the main strait into T1 and through that real tight section before the whoops over the back.... that rider is going the wrong way ???
  5. Thanks for the info. I've had someone else pick the top one as a 1970 Maico.
  6. Doubt it very much... but not positive. Maico were famous for their radial fin head, and that one doesn't have one.
  7. Definitely a stroker though. I think the engine looks a bit MZish and they did build a shitload of very competitive dirt bikes back in the day.
  8. Email the pics to Jim Scaysbrook: he or one of his OBA readers will know, may even BE the blokes in the pictures .
  9. #9 bretto61, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    The tank does look Maico, or Honda.... Looks a bit like the late seventies CR450R's tank. But that was a two banger and a pig. His bar position is mid seventies style and laid back a bit. Problem is both Euro's and Japs had right hand chains on a few of their bikes.
    Emailed the photo too someone who would know more than me and he thinks the top one is a 70's SL Honda... thinks 175, and the bottom a 70/71 Maico
    And not Amaroo, looks more like a QLD track ???