Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Identify these carbies - Pics inside.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by SHEPPO, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Got a pair of 32mm flat slide Mikuni carbies on an XR600R donk. I originally thought they were RGV250 VJ21 32mm carbies, but i've since been told this is not the case, and that they may be a couple 2 stroke motox carbies.

So, wondering if anyone on NR would know what they are?

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

I can provide more detailed photos if required.

Cheers,

Dave.

2. Looking at the carb that is not a RGV carb. Somewhere on the carb will be a serial number. Give me the number and I will cross reference it and see what model they came off.

3. Pic 3 shows two raised sections on the tubular section of the carbie, just next to where it slots into the rubber boot on the cylinder head (did that make sense?).

On these two sections is the following info:

(top raised section, square shaped)
    T32
    01D

(bottom raised section, circular shaped)
    T0

It has what looks like #160 main jet, and a #20 idle/pilot jet.

4. The serial numbers you gave me came up blank? But after some digging I think you have a set of 1987 RG250 carbs. The jet sizes match 160/20. The carbs you have are very old looking at the floats in them. 99% sure the ones you have are RG250's.

RG250%201987%20Carbs.JPG

5. does that pic show the carbies as a pair? e.g. a left and right with joiner pipes (item 41) between them? Also, thechoke mechanism in that pic looks like a lever style, where mine is a push/pull knob style (knob is broken off in my pics) like on a 2 stroke dirtbike.

The carbies i have are both identical, not a left and right version of each other. I dont thik they were ever ran as a pair, since the idle speed screw and air screw are not accessable when ran side by side.

From what i have found out, my carbies look kinda like the Mikuni Pro Series

6. After looking at your pictures again I saw the name on the float bowl and googled it. You carb looks like an aftermarket one from these guys?

http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html#tm

7. I think you may be right! Will measure them when i get home.

Thanks heaps E2W!

8. Mikuni TMX35/38

Usually found on 2-stroke off-road engines.

Sudco USA did kits for XR's, Huskies, etc using TMX series carbs with modified slide cutaways and different jets etc.

9. they are definately 32mm carbies. so maybe older versions of the more recent tmx series?

i've found info on the tm32-1's, they look very similar

edit, just measured the carbies, they measure the same as the TM32-1, however mine don't have the boss for the power jet. Maybe older ones didn't come with it?