Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Idea for speed limit policy

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mendosi, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Last week I was over in Kiwi land for a holiday. I wish I rode but my wife wasn't having any of that nonsense at this time of year so we rented a Corolla (automatic *gag*).

Anyway I noticed while driving along one of the major highways, from Thames to Auckland if you're following along, that the enlightened and benevolent government has decided it is necessary to reduce the speed limit from 100 to 90 at some point in the last five years since I lived there.

No doubt there was compelling reasons why this was necessary, probably due to a crash which got lots of people wringing their hands about the safety of nearby kittens. Anyway, this brings me to my idea, a way that authorities can protect those young felines yet not upset road users and with small cost.

Each year the transit authority no doubt reviews cat fatality statistics and identifies black spots where action (lowered speed limits, naturally) is required to protect the innocent from untimely wheeled slaughter. So far, so normal. I think at the same time they should be compelled to identify places with a history of high kitten-related safety and those places get a higher speed limit.

If they want to lower the speed limit of 100Km of road by 10Km/h then they -must- find another 100Km to raise by an equal amount.

Imagine the goodness that would have happened in Qld when they lowered the local street limit from 60 to 50!

So, what do you think, apart from the fact that it's unlikely to happen?
  2. Nice, so lets try and get reefton to be a 200kmh zone
  3. reefton @ 200kph.....

Don't think I'd like to come face to face with a knuckle dragger in his urban assault vehicle @ 200kph anytime. The bastards can't even keep it on their side of the road at 80kph.
  4. Some of the outback WA roads could use a higher limit than 110. However, some of them are dangerous at 90. I would love to see a more evidence based speed limit setting, but I will not hold my breath.
  5. Geelong freeway should be 110 at least 3 lanes each way ffs
    • Like Like x 1
  6. This is where the problems are coming from when attempting to raise the speed limits. It’s the bullshit coming from universities especially MUARC. They will say anything to save face and it is woeful. The article is from last year.

Increasing speed limits a serious mistake, say experts
    Date February 28, 2011 Alexandra Smith

Road safety experts have warned that the Coalition would be ''playing around with people's lives'' and cause a certain rise in fatalities if it was to increase speed limits on rural NSW roads.

Leading academics from Monash University and the University of NSW described NSW as the most backward state in the country when it came to road safety and warned that politics repeatedly outweighed safety.

The leader of the Nationals and the opposition spokesman for roads, Andrew Stoner, revealed yesterday that a Coalition government would do an audit of speed limits in NSW and ask the Auditor-General to investigate speed cameras.

Mr Stoner said there were many inconsistent and confusing speed limits across NSW. He also criticised the Labor government's ''sneaky placement of speed cameras to pick the pockets of motorists'', which did not improve road safety.

Raphael Grzebieta, a road safety professor at the NSW Injury Risk Management Research Centre, said suggesting that speed cameras were ''revenue raisers'' was politically motivated and failed to see their effectiveness in saving lives.

Professor Grzebieta said two-thirds of NSW drivers did not have a single demerit point on their licence.

''What they are doing is catering to a minority group who insist on speeding and breaking the law,'' he said.

He also said increasing speed limits on highways such as the Newell could have devastating results, with evidence showing that a 5 per cent increase in average speeds ends with a ''20 per cent increase in deaths''.

Max Cameron, from the Monash University Accident Research Centre, said NSW had a long way to go in improving its road safety credentials and was the ''most backward of all the states''.

Professor Cameron said Victoria attempted to increase speed limits by 10km/h in 1987 which proved a disaster, with the state experiencing a 20 per cent increase in the injury rate, including fatalities, on rural freeways.

When the 100km/h limit was reintroduced, the rate decreased by 20 per cent, Professor Cameron said.

''If the NSW government increased speed limits on high quality rural freeways and decreased it on poor quality rural roads, I think road safety professionals could live with that,'' he said.

''But if [the Coalition] were looking at increasing speed limits, that would be a serious mistake.''

Mr Stoner said his policy was about improving safety by stopping motorists from continually taking their eyes off the road to look out for changing speed limit signs.

"We're not suggesting a German-style autobahn - we're just bringing back commonsense,'' Mr Stoner said.

7. Good Old Raph Groinbiter. I remember him well from my Monash Uni mechanical engineering degree. He was the stress analysis lecturer and had written the book. Unfortunately I think he has lived in an ivory tower too long and needs to get out a little more.

The vast majority of deaths in WA are in Perth, or within 100km's of Perth. Maybe they should just ban driving altogether within that radius?
  8. Smee, the Geelong freeway should be 130 but only if they can get the morons who drive on it to stay left if they're not overtaking. I moved from Geelong to Canberra a year and a half ago, and on Tuesday I had to go to Geelong to see a old sick rellie. The trip down the Geelong freeway and back again on Thursday reminded me of why I hated having to travel on it.