Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ID needed to purchase prepaid cell phones UK, NZ - OZ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Farab, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Following MG's thread about personal details etc., I saw an atricle a few days ago (UK) about a push for registering prepaid cell phones. I thought it will only be a matter of time... sure enough a similar article appears in a local newspaper, police pushing for prepaid cellphones to be registered...

What's the status in OZ? Do you guys need to show id / register a prepaid cell phone when purchasing?

I think its another step of the surveilance society we live in...another breach of our privacy.

2. yes, even if you get pre-paid you give name and address. how is it surveilance. what if that phone was left at the murder site of someone you loved, you would expect the police to find who did it. to get a plan you need to do a credit check aswell.
    the phone company already knows where you live, they even know your PHONENUMBER!!!! :shock:
  3. I bought a prepaid phone just for the handset this year, and D1ck Smith wanted my license to record my details agains that SIM card [I guess].

But I am just using my old SIM card anyway.

So if any terrorists want an unused and untraceable SIM card, it's yours for $10
  4. I still think they can trace a particular phone...not sure?

killbot88, of course its "surveilance" in some form. I buy a cellphone to talk to my friends, family & contacts, why should it be anyone's business, untill and if I commit an offence?
  5. It's another step (along with blocking simless phones from ringing emergency numbers) to cut back on the number of hoax phone calls to 000.

Good call in my opinion.
  6. but they dont listen to your calls. it is their buisiness, they are a phone provider. honestly do you think people WANT to listen you and you friends "yo" in and "wassup bro" in. its painfull enough when you overhear. giving ID for phones has been around since they became "mainstream" (well 5 years ago i remember my dad using his ID for my phone).
    today they know your Phonenumber, tommorow.....SLAVERY :evil: :twisted:
  7. It's not about them listening to my calls, I never said that. Its the right to privacy that I'm concerned about. If I purchase a phone and airtime - a product - from a private company (service provider), as long as they get their money, they don't need to know who I am.

Just shows you how far we've come regards the loss of our right to privacy, personal freedoms, etc., when people think nothing of this type of thing and can't understand why people like me question or have a problem with it...
  8. i fail to see how this is eather a privacy thing or a rights thing. you dont have a right to a mobile phone. its not about tracing you, its about ensuring the phone is used for legal purposes. just like a drivers licence and a passport, you register a car to the driver. it has been done for years and it is needed as you would probably find that, by allowing you to use their phone towers that they are in some way "enabling" you to commit a crime.

i dont speed so why should i have a numberplate. i dont pose a threat to another country so why should i have a passport. because a criminal wont say "excuse me, i think you should record my details because i intend to use this mobile to organise a murder"
  9. Thats what so astonishing of how a lot of people think these days - we don't have a right to this, to that...
    A cellphone is a product provided by a private company. If I want one, I buy one - nothing to do with anyone else.

And the last bit of your paragraph: exactly!! - laws are made due to 1% of the population that do as they please anyway, so why do I have to register something like a privately purchased phone if criminals will do as they please, regardless?

Will check in later...need to get back to work!
  10. exactly they will do as they please, so you must force them to give their name and address. they wont give it up at will. think about all the scams that could be run, emails arent registered so you can send what you like and it is unlikely to come back on you.

you could use the phone to send spam SMS. Scam people out of money, anything. you say the laws are to stop the 1% who break them but face it, if it were easier to break the law or it were less likely you would be caught more people would do it. its down to 1% BECASUE of these laws not DESPITE them.
  11. Well, they can simply refuse to sell you the product unless you provide your details. They're a private company and they can make that demand.

If I went to Coles and they said they wouldn't sell me milk unless I gave my details, I'd go elsewhere. The fact that other companies do not offer anonymous phones should be a signal that it's not about the company being private.

If a company thought they could make more cash or undercut competitors by offering anonymous phones, they would. Don't blame the private companies.

I'm more than happy to provide my details to buy a phone. I don't see how it matters at all. No-one monitors my calls and even if they did, they'd probably be bored out of their minds. All they can do is be able to trace me if my phone is used in any criminal activities.

I don't think this is a huge civil liberty issue. I'm also quite happy to get frisked, x-rayed, etc at the airport.

I'd also be quite worried about the consequences of removing the requirements for phone registration or airport security. For phones it will make it a hell of a lot easier to mass spam, death threats, bomb threats, stalking, harassment, etc. Knowing that your details are on file is a pretty damn good deterrent.
  12. wtf :shock: how am i sposed to harass Britney Spears now... :p

Well I dont register my computer, nor do i register if i goto a free wireless internet hotspot, so i can get online without anyone knowing who i am... I expect the same with a phone, if I want to be known, I get a plan, If i want a temporary phone for throw away puposes (or to give as a gift to someone), I dont want to register, I want the phone and whatever credits I pay for... :?

If it was used in a muder, then they'll be able to trace whatever numbers was called from/to it...
  13. yes your computer is registered. when you log onto your ISP's server your I.P and MAC address are logged to the information you supplied when you signed up. how would they trace the phonenumbers to or from eachother if both phones were not registered. its not the phone that is registered, its the SIM. the phone is registered when it is manufactured. that is how they block stolen phones, the phone links to the SIM and then to the tower
  14. No... my computer is NOT registered...

If i'm using the net at home, then yes, my router will have its details possibly logged (maybe only the IP address to login name tho, deps how detailed the ISP is). If i tap into a wireless spot thats not my own, I am not registered, details are not kept for much longer than my connection to the wireless spot, as most, if not all home routers will clear the ARP table and thus my MAC regularly.

Yes, the IMIE number or serial number of a phone is recorded, and blocked when stollen (and reported) (unlike my computer if stollen)... they can still trace what number was called by looking into the phone companies records, its not sorted by name, but by phone number, thus not needing to be registered.
    But who knows, there might be some law requiring people to have some details recorded, so that if shit hits the fan, someone can point the finger at someone else...
  15. mmmm stollen [​IMG]

The reason they want ID is so the cops can track all the terrorists using mobile phones to trigger bombs etc. Simple really all they have to do is get a fake ID :roll:
  16. It's amazing the number of people out there who willing accept the BOHICA Effect.

And because of that, those of us who detest the idea of having our so called freedoms taken from us have to cop it as well.

Next on the ALP's list is 'net censorship. Imagine if they extend it to "banned groups" and decide that Netrider or the MRA or whatever, because they have possible banned group members as subscribers is included in the blacklist?
  17. Trouble is Booga if someone buys an unregistered prepaid SIM and only uses it to call false alarms to 000 or similar stuff how will they be able to trace the owner of that unregistered SIM by looking at who the phone is calling.

Your PC may not be registered but your ISP will know exactly who you are (they send you a bill don't they) and you can be tracked via that (I believe ISP have to keep those sort of records and hand them over when requested by law enforcement agencies).
  18. We should be clear on this issue. The ISP or the telco can only be forced to hand over this info if the law enforcement agency has a court order.

Same for the likes of the music studios who allege that the ISPs' customers are downloading pirated material. They have to prove that these "crimes" are being committed in court before it will hand over the necessary authority.

And from what I've read this isn't happening very much. At least in that area sanity prevails.
  19. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, but the point I was making is that, they know who you are by your modem/router's login details, if you aren't sitting at home then you can be a ghost.
    ISP's will keep some sort of record of net surfing (once again goverened by privacy acts), but I also think police could request logs IF they can find you... There are also anonymous proxies, who wont give out any details, or dont keep any logs, because in their country they're not required to ;)
  20. Winner!!!!!!

Agreed. No plan therefore you don't need to know who I am.

As for the 000 pranks, they can just shut the phone down via its IMEI