Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Icon Airframe Construct or Arai Vector 2?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by SAMB, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I know Arai has the name behind it but how sexy is that Icon lid? I can get the Vector 2 for $400 in change shipped or the Icon for around $300. The Icon has more "features" but obviously does not have the R & D, tested and true name that Arai does. The Icon comes with a tinted visor. The Arai does not. Obviously the Icon is the better looking of the two but if I were to come off and smack my melon off the concrete the good looks of the Icon aren't gonna help me.

Which would you spend your hard earned clams on and why?

2. both are great.
    but both have very different fits.

3. Big name doesn't necessarily mean big safety. Check out sharps.co.uk I think, you'd be surprised how many cheaper helmets are rated just as high as the big names. That said, buy the helmet that fits you better. For all you know one of them won't fit you at all

4. not many
    check for yourself
    good luck finding one that was manufactured in the last 10 years. then finding it in a store.

5. The best one of those two is the one that fits your melon best.

Although I would say that Arai have got a better rep for quality helmets.

6. Slightly OT, but I read a little rumour on HFL that the Icon helmets meet & are marked with the AUS standards, no matter where you buy them, let us know if this is the case.

7. Totally agree. The cost and 'features' of a helmet means nothing if it doesn't fit you properly.

8. Airframe Construct has been "my next helmet to get" for a while, and now im in need of a new lid, im having difficulty finding them sold in Aus or with the AS sticker.

Also, was previously aware of what you mentioned MV, did look into it also but may be misinterpretation following:

http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3427&id=12226

"All world standard, meets or exceeds the following: DOT FMVSS 218(US), ECE 22-05(EUROPE), SAI AS1698(AUSTRALIA) & SG(JAPAN) safety and testing standards. Does not ship with SAI or SG certification stickers unless purchased in that country"

-----

Possibly misquoted from there? But would also like confirmed if someone has bought from overseas / aus & where? Ive sent some e-mails over the last few days but havnt gotten too far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. just so you know SAI AS1698 is technically incorrect

its AS/NZS 1698:2006

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sell me some stickers Takamii, im like your biggest fan or something.

Inb4 sticker cost the same price as a helmet.

11. Nice work Rohizle, glad someone's on the ball (y)

So if someone puts a sticker on it, it should all be hunky dory, right?

12. bought mine from the states. (airframe, not construct version)
    came with no stickers on the helmet or sewn in labels relating to any standards.
    just a small certificate came in the box stating which standards it met.
    thought it would have dot marking. but nope. all are manufactured in Korea, shipped around the world from there without any stickers .
    this was a couple of years ago now though.
    am fairly certain ECE 22-05(EUROPE) is obsolete now. don't know about the rest. but if meets AS1698, would have to be near as stringent as modern European standards.

they can be purchased in Aus stores though. just older designs, graphics.

13. That's intertesting MT1, anyone know if the Aus delivered ones have any stickers?

14. Highly illegal in Australia - the simple ommission of this part of the helmet means that it does not meet the Australian Standard as part of the standard is labelling that must be permanantly attached - the certificate is only good for wiping your ass with as far as the law would be concerned

15. nope. the stickers have to be fitted here, cannot legally be affixed offshore as requirement of the ror... err i mean legislation,

16. yeah whatever

Attached Files: