Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I thought GPS's were for knobs...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by cejay, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Until I got one.

I bought a TomTom One at JB that other day for the trip to Cairns. I have been really amazed how easy it is to use and how when arriving in each town on our way I've not had to call the hotel/motel for directions. Seeing the k's count down to next turn or the end point has been fun too.

How accurate is the GPS speed info?

It only got confused a couple of times, once when it tried to take me up a non existent road in Townsville (just drove on until it recalculated with a road that did exist) and once when it was convinced I should take a particular road when it should have been the one before. The mistake was easy to see and the road we wanted was flooded out anyway.

So, to all those people I've slandered these last few years, I apologise :p

Mind you, I still don't see the point if you're just driving to work...

2. I love my GPS. Tom Tom in the car that is - never used one riding. The speed always seems to underestimate by about 5 - 10 kmh on mine.
  3. I almost bought a TomTom One the other day. I'm after something around the $250-300 range, how do you rate the One you got cejay?
  4. They are supposed to be accurate. Put it this way, when I got pinged by a speed camera the fine was for doing 109 in a 100 zone. When I spotted the camera as I came round the bend I glanced at the speed and it said 112. The 109 was the speed after the 3 km/h deducted legislative tolerance.

So, as far as that goes it's accurate enough for me.

Mind you, they do take a second or two to update as your speed changes, but if you're on cruise and steady speed they should be good as a speed camera or radar gun.
  5. Ditto, Id love a GPS for on the bike, I dont have a car so its single purpose, im not interested in bells and whistles, just something I can program a route into and glance down at to make sure im on track is the TomTom one that unit?
  6. Can't talke for CJ but my Tom Tom One was an excellent product. However, it did suffer from "signal canyoning" when we were trying to use it in Melbourne's CBD. The Mio C510 which replaced it after the TT1 was stolen suffers from the same thing. Due to the high rise and signal reflections. Not sure what can fix it except maybe for an external antenna if they're available.

Of course it relies on accurate map data. Some Tom Toms are compatible with Tom Tom Share which allows people to upload map corrections to a common database. Not sure on the "fact" checking for accuracy in case smart arses upload rubbish "corrections". But if it's honestly done then it may save you having to make regular map upgrade purchases.
  7. There is sometimes a margin of error with gps because they sometimes are off a little bit (a few meters) in location which can cause a variance in speed, but I would personally trust it more then a speedo when at a constant speed.
  8. I find my GPS is quite accurate for speed (compared against the Advisory Speed signs, and known error of my speedo).

The GPS is showing HORIZONTAL groundspeed, mind you, so if you're driving uphill it will say you are travelling slower.
  9. I know some newer one show elevation, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took that into account, but it would be high end ones.
  10. Yeah, thats pretty much a flaw in the GPS system as a whole. I'm sure some units will deal with it better than others, but around tall buildings and even sometimes steep hills / cliffs you WILL get dodgy reception and there's not much your head unit can do about it.

Overall tho, I totally agree. GPS = awesome.

I use the GPS in my Nokia Navigator phone, which is no where near as user friendly as a dedicated GPS unit, but it's good enough for me, and it was practically free!!! :grin:
  11. Wow, interesting comments on the speed thing.

Mine's a Tom Tom OneXL and it's brilliant. Very pleased with the decision - had it about a year and a half now.
  12. I just can't bring myself to buy one. How can I profess to be the god of the roads if I have to listen to a GPS to tell me where to go? :?
  13. Mmm, I've had GPSes that show elevation and vertical speed before I owned one capable of displaying a moving map.

Perhaps the new road-oriented devices would show the resultant velocity (and not just the horizontal and vertical components), but my experience so far has been otherwise.

FWIW, horizontal accuracy is fairly good these days, <10m, but vertical accuracy is only around 1/3 as good due to the angles involved.
  14. You don't need one,Joel.
  15. I've had a Garmin 2610 in the car for about 5 years. Love it. I know it's 100% accurate on a flat road as my car has had the speedo calibrated and they both read exactly the same.

I've love one for the bike but they are a bit expensive - dedicated bike ones that is.
  16. More likely your spedo is out 5-10Kms not your GPS.

I have one I bought cheaply off ebay for $179.00.
    Works great. Used it over christmas going to Qld and back. Great also for finding hotels and resturaunts.
    With this one I have also loaded ausie explorer onto it for topographical maps for when I go off road in my 4WD
  17. I bought one from Aldi for 129.90 it's a "no name" but works brilliantly
    and suckered to the screen it never gets wet on the fzr.

Map updates are free from "route 66" for mine.

come to think of it, it's branded Tevion.

Best $130 I've ever spent.
  18. Quite possibly!
  19. They are :p
  20. My Tomtom Rider has been the bane of my existence. When it works its bloody brilliant, and I've got the windscreen mount add on kit so I can use it in the car as well. However its the Rider V1 and it has suffered from the well known inability to charge correctly on the motorbike mount, which makes its life about 6 hours if I have bluetooth turned off. This is longer than on battery alone as it charges intermittently, otherwise life would be about 2 hours. That's enough of a pain as it should get constant power and last for as long as it is on the bike in the cradle.

The other problem I've had with it is that it is bloody useless at picking up the satellites if its been not used for as little as a day. You have to take along a pin wherever you go in order to perform hard resets of the thing multiple times before it will find the satellites. It got sent back under warranty and came back exactly the same. It's also not uncommon with this model. It's made me not want to ever buy another Tomtom.

However my fiancee was given a Tomtom One by her boss this xmas, and it suffers none of the problems my Rider does. It fires up and connects to satellites quickly and has worked without a hitch. So maybe they've improved over time.

Navigation wise, the GPS on the bike is fantastic. Its discovered for me some wonderful roads I'd probably never have taken if planning by map, and it sure beats pulling over to examine a map every now and then. I've used it extensively touring and its been brilliant. Its also easier to monitor my speed on it as my speedo is mounted on my tank and in a full face helmet I'm forced to look down all the time to ensure I'm not helping Victoria collect a little more revenue. Having the GPS on the bars is a lot easier to glance at.

As for the speed question, I've found it spot on. In my car and my bike, my speedos get more and more inaccurate past 100. The only drawback is I tend to adjust my driving speed up knowing what the true speed is. One time I was driving a merc and assumed the speedo was out by the same amount as my car, and on the return trip actually used my GPS and discovered to my horror that the Merc has a significantly more accurate speedo than a Mitsubishi :LOL: I'm hoping the owner didn't get any fines in the mail....