Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I think I've had enough - thinking about getting rid of the bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by singlemalt, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Had my 3rd accident a few days ago.

After having my license for a few months now this is getting annoyingly repetitive.

Coming down off a mountain on a 30 degree decline, in the wet, and into a 20kph hairpin. I wasn't speeding - in fact I was going very slowly. I knew it was slippery as my friend in his cruiser was having all sorts of trouble. Anyway, on this turn I gradually squeezed the front brake, unloaded the rear, and highsided on to the ground. I didn't roll. Just crunched myself on my shoulder and chest wall. Wearing full gear. Didn't break any bones.

Bike has minor damage. The oggy knobs took most of the hit - but there is a gouge on the tank unfortunately.

There may have been some oil on the road as my friend had similiar problems behind me - but was able to stay upright. I didn't really care after coming off - I was in pain and just rode the bike home.

My first accident was being run into from behind and my second was in vietnam on a mountain where I hit some debri on the road around a corner. Nothing really serious.

I haven't looked at the bike in a few days now. The idea of getting it fixed - again - annoys me. Partly as I'm low on cash and partly as I don't want to look like a complete fool again at the dealership. After struggling again today to get out of bed and living on analgesia I think I've just had enough.

It's not about fear of getting back on the bike. I don't think it's even about the bike - although it is quite boring as a LAMS bike. I'm just sick of being punished ("disproportionately") for minor mistakes I have done that have had larger consequences.

Anyway - I'm just venting to some degree. I haven't told anyone about this yet (it has only occurred to me today) and I will give it a few weeks before I decide.

SM.

2. I've been riding a lams bike for 10 months so far, ridden over 15000kms and so far so good. As a first time rider I decided to get a bike equipped with abs to aid me a bit extra in case I did something wrong.

If you only ride on the weekends or a few days a week then your riding skills don't remain as sharp as they should be and you won't be as alert as opposed to a rider
    who rides regularly everyday or every 2nd day.

Before I started riding in the hills I started attending pratice sessions offered on this site, the.started regularly commuting to work and only then after I had over 5000kms of regular riding under my belt did I dare start going in to the hills.

As soon I have p's which is soon I will start doing advanced courses offered at my local motorcycle license training centre.

When in a car you are in the relative comfort of knowing if you have an accident unless it is a major one you'll get away at worst shaken and relatively unhurt as the car will take the brunt of the impact.

When riding a bike this isn't the case and you should always ride with the mindset that if you have an accident your f'd and to always ride to your and the bikes ability.

3. I can understand how you feel, because accidents, even if you can clearly identify the reasons, undermine your confidence..

A few weeks and some lovely sunny weather and the others zipping by, even at LAMS speed, will probably change your mood.

4. The Three time there have been things out of your control.like you say give it a few weeks and i think you will stay with the bike good luck.

5. Sweetie I would looking at booking yourself into a rider training course, it will do wonders in the restoration of your confidence.

Sugarplum I not certain where you reside, as such I have not suggested a particular course, one should never underestimate the benefits derived from such endeavours.

6. What Rattus said can be true, but there is always another side to the coin;

if your confidence is shot and you are nervous or undecided whilst riding then you put yourself at greater risk.

This might sound harsh but either take the course or hang up the helmet ..

7. I can certainly understand you being disheartened mate, as would anyone in that situation. Its worth pushing forward though, if you can get your mind back in the game.
    Rattys suggestion of the training course is a good one, very worth doing.

Otherwise just take it slow and relax :).
    I had a few near offs on mountain roads in the early months mainly because i was a little tense, and didnt trust myself, and had no confidence in my machine, the road or my tyres. (im especially hateful of hairpins... i think how slow i need to go, then go slower :p).
    Now i have a lot more confidence in it, am far more relaxed on it, and keeping up with a lot of the big boys through the corners (if not the straights :p).

8. I think you probably need to do a few things:
    1) Do an advanced rider course (as suggested by Rattus) so you can regain your confidence in a controlled environment
    2) Be realistic

Think of all the great times you've had riding. You've been particularly unlucky in a short amount of time but you haven't written off the bike or yourself. If those good times don't help you overcome your tribulations, then perhaps its time to pack up shop.

9. Ditto what everyone else said.

But you said you gently braked in the corner. I was told at my course to never ever brake while turning no matter what. That could have been the reason...

10. My advice -buy a motard. Then you can fling it down the road without any more damage than a couple of scratches on your footpegs/handgaurds. They are also amazingly forgiving to ride -due to their relatively low weight, nice wide bars (giving heaps of leverage and feel) and relaxed geometry. At legal speeds anyway.
    Go play on dirt roads and get used to the bike sliding/moving around under you. Road riding will then become just too easy.
    Can't help with the Liberace incident other than don't sit in the middle of your lane. Haven't heard of anyone getting the old date punch whilst lane splitting.

11. I'm a little differently wired. My normal reaction would be to become very dogged and ride more, just to stick it up the hand I was being dealt.

In other words succeed in spite of it all.

But I empathize with your current state of mind.

Firstly, stay away from such awkward roads and allow your confidence to rebuild. As Rattus and others suggest, do some courses, or if money is a problem, see if you can organize a few mentor rides t the very least.

It seems fairly obvious that you are doing something wrong somewhere, because only you crashed..a fresh set of eyes may be able to sort you out.

Wise choice to wait a few weeks, because I suspect you aren't in a good frame of mind.

Take in what everyone has said, let it sink in a bit, THEN decide what you want to do.
    Keep your chin up, kick discouragement right in the teeth!!, and re-evaluate, then.

John

12. you can give it up now mate, but mark my words, the bug will bite again

13. You can get the motorcyclist off the motorcycle, but you can't get the motorcycle out of the motorcyclist.

14. I almost came off in the wet today just downshifting. The roads are so slippery my boots hardly get grip at the lights, and obviously the same with my rear wheel.

My initial thoughts were the same as yours... if you get so badly punished for a tiny mistake is it worth pushing through? Lucky I didnt come off like you did, but I can see where your coming from.

Maybe just avoid the wet for a while and get your confidence back

15. Some great advice given.

Doing some advanced courses with trained professionals may identify some parts of your riding that may be putting you at a higher risk that you're not aware of.
    A good way of regaining your confidence too...

16. Thanks.

I'm going to give it a few weeks and then look at fixing the bike. I'll see how I feel then. I spend most of the time in the little lotus anyway.

SM.

17. fix it? You do that before you sell it :p

18. As mentioned it sounds like your front brake was the reason you went down
    So youve had a bad run but think of all the joy riding a bike has bought to you

19. Have you thought of getting a different type of bike?

20. Agree 100% with this. If (probably WHEN) you decide to ride again, you need to build up the confidence. Training is how.