Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

i think its a great idea....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by thinman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. hey all.

i've had my L's for a fair while now but don't own a motorbike as of yet. When i first went for my L's my parents weren't too happy to say the least, nor was my girlfriend. Now my parents have come around to the idea (to a degree) but the girlfriend still won't come around.

Any recommendations/ideas on how i could bring her around?
  2. it is your life. Take it for granted though that as part of a relationship, your giving her a chunk of it.

Perhaps book her in to do her L's? Maybe get her to help buy all your gear so you can be ATGATT.
  3. unfortunately she is of the opinion that buying a bike is like signing your death certificate...

and to put her through her L's is too expensive... like $300 and she wouldn't get on one anyway
  4. get an experienced, trusted friend on full license to take her for a short ride in the hills, see if the actual sensations change her mind...
  5. Does she drive a car? tell her if she drives her car she could also die...same goes for walking/swimming or riding a bicycle.

Anything can happen at anytime...if you really like to ride, then get a bike and ride to your hearts content, I'm sure if she has a nagging moment, all you want to do is get away ;)

phong =P~
  6. Leave her - once you get a bike you'll pull plenty of chicks.
  7. ARE YOU SERIOUS MAN, harden the hell up, be a man and do what you want. She's your girlfriend not your wife, and unless you have a joint account then do what you want with your money.......
  8. This X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  9. You might need something for the chafing
  10. What part of it exactly does she find not safe?

I mean, my Ps and a number of my female friends weren't too happy about me just doing Qride and seeing how I went. P's in particular, for a number of reasons but the safety being #1.

Cut a long story short, I'm a defensive driving instructor part time, so I fully understand how dangerous the road can be. So if I didn't feel totally safe on a bike, I would have cut it off at the end of Qride. Cause I knew I was going to enjoy it either way, but if you don't feel safe, its difficult to ride safe. If that makes sense.

After doing Qride, I explained everything to him, how I felt it wasn't actually all that dangerous, and the reasons why. Explained the statistics a little better, etc. To the point now when he is down the newsagents looking for his cryptic crossword books he's picking me up moto magazines to keep my interest until I buy a bike. That said, I can honestly say I am a good driver (and with time will become a good rider), I always know where my and the vehicles limitations are, as I find out under controlled safe conditions, and everyone that cares about me knows this. So when I tell them, they can believe me. You might be different.

As much as its funny, bit rough telling him to dump her, and grow some nuts etc. If the only info about riding you have is what the media feeds you, then its very diffcult to look at it in any positive light.

PS, her dad is never going to like seeing her on the back of your bike :)
  11. the whole no cage thing for if i have a accident. when i sat my L's it was very much a see how we go as i hadn't ever rode a motorbike before. I loved it and wished i had a bike there and then.
  12. ive always found it was the mums you gotta watch out for

13. we have a winner..
  14. We know who wears the pants in this relationship... :bolt:

My mum was more upset about me joining the army... she encouraged the bike idea though :grin: .
  15. yeah coz in army you go away for a long time but with bikes she knows you'll come home every afternoon =]

and to Topic, Dude its either set the rules or leave her... this is your life
  16. get a bike and whilst your out buy her a warm glass of shut the hell up.

Nah serious though if it's something you want to do then do it. Better to go through life doing what you want to do than being like alot of people and hitting your 40's turning around and thinking that you wish you had spent more time doing the things you love to do.
  17. Ill give you some advice mate, thats not "leave her" or "harden up" lol.

Most of the guys here are under the thumb, but don't have the balls to say it, hehe....so dont listen to their "im the man" bullsh!t...haha
    I understand u love ur girl and respect her decisions, and she has a valid point, riding a bike puts you in a riskier position. We know the facts.

My mrs hates me riding but she got used to it and doesnt say anything anymore, Im just not allowed to do wheelies, not that I can, but when I can it wont be in front of her... ;)

You gota keep the mrs happy mate, but you gotta be happy too so have a chat, tell her its something u really want and it would make u happy and that you'll always ride safe.
    She's just worried bout you, its not a bad thing. And then at the end of the day, once u get a bike and start riding, she'll be worried for a few months then shell get over it.

putting her on the back of someones bike for a ride may have a negative effect so b careful. A good talk and persistence hould fix it.
    good luck mate.
  18. +1
  19. I threatened my wife with this one, but she duly reminded me that she is a female and by that sheer virtue she can pull in more guys than I can possibly pull in "chicks". I could not fault her logic.
  20. Hahahaha she has a very valid point I suppose :p .