Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I think I figured out why my fuel economy has been sucking…

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by grue, May 21, 2010.

1. Might have something to do with this* :rofl:

* totally not my fault, see post three :rofl:
  2. .......

Maaaaaaaate !
  3. Not my fault! I bought the bike used about 5,000km ago, and the guy lived on a dirt road. I didn't really think about it until about a week ago and thought "Huh, I bet the air filter is nasty", ordered one in.

Took off the seat and tank, opened the box and went "oh holy shit you have to be kidding me"

Took it for a ride, it's almost like a different bike :-s More power, better throttle response.
  4. Thats amazing! It got so dirty the filter "paper" turned 90°
  5. :-s

That's another thing that got me… it's some kind of generic filter. I wouldn't have been surprised by a K&N, but a no-name?
  6. It looks like a BMC filter to me, in which case it's re-usable
  7. What Keithy said. Wash it out and re-oil it.

8. Hmmm… no markings of any kind on it. In any case, it's sitting in the garage for now. I'm told it's best to stick with OEM filters for the F4i, so if it's reusable perhaps I'll find someone who wants it.
  9. Dear Grue,
    This is a forum for motorcyclists, please continue your discussion on the details of your vacuum cleaner elsewhere.
    Yours sincerely, the mole.
  10. :rofl:
  11. There was a post not long ago - or may have been on his blog - by e2w showing how the after markt hi-flo air filters let heaps of crap into the throttle bodies.
  12. Hahaha, I can see it more clearly now. Reminds me to clean my dryer.
  13. when I was at the warehouse, one particular idiot would disconnect the air filter completely on the forklift to make it sound deeper.