Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I.T. help required

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Jan 30, 2016.

1. I love Windows 10, but when I installed it on my main desktop machine, the only two games I play, Geoff Crammond's wonderful Grand Prix III, and Doom '95, refused to work, so I changed it back to Win7. However, a work colleague says that I should install a Virtual Machine which would run Win7 so I could have the best of both worlds.
    Now, I'm not living under a rock, and I know what that MEANS, but I start reading about it and how to do it, etc, and I get very confused, very quickly.
    I have a Gen2 i3, 8gb of DDR3 RAM and a 128Gb SSD, so I'm guessing my hardware will do this, but can come kind soul explain in simplest-possible terms, how and where and whatever of getting this working on my computer. (I also have several legal copies of Win7, in both 64 and 32 bit versions)?

2. Firstly, have you tired running the games by changing the "Compatibility" of them via the properties.
    1. Right click on their executables.
    2. Select "Properties".
    3. Click on the "Compatibilities" tab.
    4a. In Win10 there is a "Run compatibility troubleshooter" button you can try or:
    4b. Click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox and select the windows mode you'd like to run it in.

I've had reasonable success with this method.

If you are going to go the VM route, your machine should be ok as long as you don't try and run too many things at once (RAM/CPU are the big consumers usually for VM's) but my main concern is the VM system's ability to run the graphics with any sense of quality and speed. Google "VirtualBox", it's a free VM system that's pretty easy to set up so you could try that one first. Their documentation is pretty easy to follow.

I've used a few VM systems, VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox... They're great for servers but limited for anything else IMHO.

You could also set up a dual boot system, on boot-up, choose either Win7 or Win10 depending on what you are doing.
    • Like Like x 1