Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"I suspect it went down in a hurry?"

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by NiteKreeper, Nov 30, 2010.

1. ... said my mechanic - sure did! And not in a good way, like that chick I met in a bar once...

So I was cruising to work yesterday on the Spada, happily filtering the traffic away but staying sensible in the light rain (Isn't it always when this stuff happens?!)

Then as I leaned slightly to navigate the old toll plaza on the M4, the back stepped out big-time and I only just stayed on - thankfully I'd been reading these forums so I eased off rather than slamming the throttle shut.

Long story short: the back tyre actually split for some reason! It's only got about 12 months on it and plenty of tread left, so any ideas why a tyre would split? I had a puncture repaired about 6 months ago, so I supect the weak spot.

2. Were you going on the shoulder at all? the M4 shoulder is covered in shite. I got a screw stuck in my rear tyre from the M4 a couple weeks back. Was a fairly new tyre too. I could imagine if you got a screw in your tyre then skidded on it you could tear right through a tyre.
  3. what 'e said ^

otherwise... nfi
  4. Might be worth contacting the Australian distributor for the tyre. 12 months is not a short time for a bike tyre, but still the embarrassment of a drastic failure like this might see some action from the parent company.
  5. Was the tyre on the shelf for a long time before being sold and put on the bike or was the bike in storage for a long time being unridden and the tyres in contact with concrete...who knows.
  6. Certainly is an interesting occurance. When you say split, do you mean just a short (inch long) crack thats let all the air out? or more severe?

First time I read it I had imagined the entire tyre seperating into two different parts :p
    Spent a few km's on the shoulder of the M3 over the last few weeks without issue too, though I could hear the random crap flicking up so I guess it was just luck
  7. Thanks all,

I don't ride the shoulders on the M4 at all, since I'm usually early enough to not need to - I was in the right wheeltrack of the middle lane at the time.
    The crack was only about an inch long, apparently...
    It's a Pirelli "Sport Demon" (I think that's the model name...), dunno about shelf life but the bike has been used daily since it was fitted.
    I'll have a chat to the mechanic when I collect her tomorrow, and if its warranted I'll call the distributor - thanks again for the advice.

And on a side note: does anyone else get funny looks sitting on the train in full gear, reading Rapid?!
  8. Only when the full-face helmet's involved.

9. LOL

Not sure if you know - it doesnt seem to be common knowledge - that the manufacture date of your tyres is able to be deciphered if you look at the numbers on the tyre wall.

On my pilot powers there's a little oval with 0607 in it. I think that means manufactured in the 6th week of 2007 ( my bike was first registered in April 2008). It could be June 2007.

My new PR2 on the rear has 2310 - this would be the 23rd week in 2010.

10. Haven't been riding long, however every bit of advice I have had is when you get a puncture to ditch the tyre out and get a new one for this exact reason.

This has been fairly unanimous advice and in my handbook for the bike from memory.
  11. Well here's one vote against. I've had at least one puncture in my rear tyre for the last three tyres and all have been repaired with a side of the road kit and have run fine right to end of life.

I've had others which I have plugged.

Might be practice to swap out the front on a tubeless but I'm comfortable with running rears with repaired punctures
  12. Thing is, that you might have 1 in 10 repairs on average that goes to shit. So on the whole, might go 20 in a row repairs that fail, but for that one that does you are stuffed. Compared to a car where it just goes flat. I'm not sure I would be comfortable going against the general opinion like that. On the courses I have done, they have all recommended replacing tyres rather than repairing.
  13. I'm not convinced it is general opinion. It seems to be a myth that has popped up in the past few years.

I can understand why tyre sellers would recommend it, but I've nerd herd a first or even strong second person account of an accident resulting from a sudden tyre deflation, let alone one caused by a puncture repair.

And that goes front and back.
  14. Hmmmm possibly - now you have said that, I would like to see some evidence myself either way.
  15. Hmm, ive been running sports demons on my bike for... what... about 9 months now on the rear and 6 months on the front.
    The rear has about 8000km give or take on it, but i did notice how obvious the splits in the tread were becoming after about 6000km. They havent gotten any worse as such, just more of them.
    I havent noticed any unusual behaviour from the rear, and i plan to replace the tyre just after new years with something dual compound anyway, the better for commuting... even if i dont plan on keeping the bike after april :p.

Front shows nothing like the signs of wear of course, and judging by its wear will last another year.
  16. Can't say I disagree - especially now!

The original puncture was a long brass screw that I only noticed one morning when the sun shone on the head of it as I opened the garage.
    I actually remembered the "Sproing!" noise at that point - it was about a week earlier! Still had good pressure too - 34lb...
    I rode it about 200m to the local shop and had it repaired rather than replaced, on their advice - they'd fitted the tyres themselves...

Payday today so I'll pick up one of those Plug/CO2 kits tomorrow - next time I'll get her going, ride straight to the shop and put new rubber on the plastic!
  17. She's all better now...

The split was actually down in a groove, so it definitely wasn't the site of the original puncture (which was right in the middle of the contact patch). It looked like a sharp piece of metal had cut about halfway through the tyre and then the pressure had blown it out from inside. Like the mechanic said: "Just your unlucky day..."

Incidentally, I'd also asked him to replace the front pads and grease the slides but he also found corrosion around the seals, so it turned out to be timely mishap - expensive for sure, but what price my safety, right?

Thanks all for your advice/thoughts - truly appreciated...
  18. Did he say anything about the safety of repairing tyres as opposed to replacing?

I know that car tyres, they won't fix them if there is a puncture in the walls. I just wonder, due to the shape of bike tyres if a similar concept applies?
  19. When I told him it had been repaired by the place that fitted them, he looked up REAL quick and asked "It wasn't us, was it?"
    The look on his face kinda answered the next question...
  20. So never repair, always replace?