Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I so totally agree with this !!

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mickyb V9, Jul 19, 2006.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19833881-28477,00.html

Kids these days just have no respect.
    I believe thats the key of making our society more respectable and not go down the path of self-centredness (such word?).

You guys reckon ???

2. Wow, kids are actually doing this? I haven't gotten a train in quite a while, but when I was in high school, we always got up for an elderly traveller. It's just common courtesy, whether you're a kid or an adult. I remember getting onto a train once and saw a bunch of 20-40yr olds sitting down and two easily70-80yr old women standing in the area near the doors. I actually had to loudly say "Are you all seriously sitting down while these two ladies are in need of a seat?" before anybody had the good grace to get up.

WTF is wrong with people.

3. Children learn by example. If their parents show no respect to others, they'll do the same. If dad screams at mum when he's stressed/drunk, or hits her, son will often grow up to do the same.

I'm 57 and I still call older men than me 'Sir' and older ladies 'Madam'. They appreciate respect being shown to their age and experience.

"What you are shouts so loudly I can't hear what you are saying"

4. Was recently down in Melb couple of months ago with son1 & his gfriend. We did the public transport thing into the city from where we were staying a couple of times. Not once did I have to ask / say/ mention to son1 to surrender his seat. He did it on his own accord.

So is this just me noticing a difference from city - country kids? or does the crowd they hang out with, school enviroment etc, play a part.

5. I used to catch the train into work along the belgrave->city line;
    Now i know i'm not exactly young, but I gave up seats on trains or trams for elderly, and once even a lady said dont be silly, i'm fine here, yet i was off at the next station and not worth me sitting down again anyway.

But, every morning there was a blind man and his guide dog, sometimes I was on an inside seat and not practical for him to sit there, but I had often seen school kids get up from the parrallel seats next to the door so he could sit with his dog.

6. I saw a guy give up his seat for a woman, she didn't like the idea very much.

She ended up screaming abuse at him for gentlemanly, and I mean serious abuse. Seemed she hates men and is strongly femminist as well, aswell as being weight sensitive.

She did stop anyone else giving up their seat on that route for quite awhile - me, I was always standing :( so I din't get a chance for the abuse :)

7. I work with a lady who is in her early 60s. She came to work the other day laughing and saying that she must be old because someone had given up their seat on the train for her.

8. But I'll bet you're offended when they think you're really old and give up their seats for you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And is that Madam by age or occupation Paul :p :p

9. That's why I avoid travelling on public transport, Tony :grin:

10. Tell ya what she was lucky she didn't get a f*cking black eye.

SIDDOWN Y'OLD biatch BEFORE I TEARS YA A NEW BUNGOLE! Now knit a jumper granny.

11. It's sexist to offer your seat to a girl cause she is a girl.

Equal rights all the way !

12. Yeah, ESP if they are femenists... make em stand.... (not that you could tell if she was before the abuse, OH yeah, except the butch haircut...

13. i can't be bothered getting on PT sitting down and then wondering if the person standing in front of me deserves my seat more then i do.... so i just stand all the time :)

14. Yeah!!!

For the record i will offer my seat to the elderly and/or disabled/deaf/blind :cool: etc but i wont surrender my seat for people who are older than me :roll: (just for the reason they're older). I also dont offer my seat for women in high heels who clutz around on the train because there heels are too tall...

15. I stand up for people who are elderly, or obviously pregnant.

I don't subscribe to the "kids today have no respect" line when it comes to giving up seats on public transport. Teenagers in the 1970s behaved like teenagers do now. Nothing's changed. They're teenagers, for chrissakes! What do you expect them to be like?!!!

Another observation - there are plenty of grumpy, rude, pushy old people out there. Being old just means you've been a big enough bastard to survive a long time. It doesn't necessarily equal nice, or charming.

And while I'm ranting: I'm sick of people (of either gender) who don't say thank you if you hold a door open for them, or if you let them go through it ahead of you.

I'm also sick of women who assume they have the right to push in front of you (without any comment) in order to pass through a doorway. If you're a bloke you can be standing on a railway platform directly in front of the train door, and as soon as it opens a woman will push ahead of you without so much as a glance in your direction.

That's not being assertive in a male-dominated world ("you go, grrrl") - it's plain bloody rudeness. Sod the lot of 'em. :evil:

:LOL:

[My wife and I used to commute together by train. We'd often end up being separated once we got on, because when the doors opened men would let her go ahead of them, and women would push in ahead of me. Looks like the experience has scarred me for life...]

16. While we are all ranting, you know whats pevving me at the moment.

Dual citizenship people !
    Yes, i'm talking about the ones stuck in Lebanon who call Lebanon home !

So after all, Australia is their country when things turn to shit and want Aust tax dollars to get them out !

okay, flame on everyone !
    I'm strong about this issue !! :evil:

17. oh boy this is about to get interesting....

:popcorn:

18. i would stand and offer but if they shouted and ranted and gave me abuse i would then sit back down and turn up the IPOD hehe
    but i dont catch public transport anymore it cost too much and u never know what drunko / weirdo / druggo or total nutcase u will get...
    i rather ride or drive... :grin: :grin:

19. i.e. me! :shock: :? :LOL: :LOL: LOL :grin: :grin:

ok..... im just a nutcase :p :roll:

20. Man, I hate feminists.