Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I should have known better!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by iClint, Nov 27, 2014.

1. #1 iClint, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    there is a noob mistakes thread and perhaps this thread already exists but I thought it could be a place to post the Mistakes you have made as an experienced rider who should have known better!

I'll go first

Yesterday I took a bike out for a ride, first ride in 8 months after a crash that left me with a spinal injury.

I have no feeling in my left foot and limited power around my left ankle. To top it off I also have no spatial awareness of where my left foot and toes are in relation to the rest of my body.

I wanted to return to riding without needing to modify the bike to do so e.g. fitting an actuator to change gears with a button on the hand controls.

Anyway after a lot of physio and testing my ability to shift gears, i have reached a point where I can safely do it, and here is where my huge mistake begins...

I have been tinkering with my shift lever position on my bikes which involve loosening lock nuts and winding the linkage in and out to get the right position and a lot of getting on and off the bike to test the position. Some might guess where this is going.

so I am all set to go for a ride just a short one with a few different traffic situations to get my nerve back. i decided a loop around Revesby along henry lawson drive and down the motorway, henry lawson drive has some really nice sweeping bends and is a quiet road.

As I am riding my ability to change gears is getting progressively worse and as I can not actually feel the shift lever against my foot when i am shifting I am thinking my ability to move my ankle must be getting worse as the muscles often tense up.

the inability to consistently shift gears starts depressing me and the problem is getting worse until I can't shift the bike out of 4th at all.

Its at this point I look down to see what my foot is doing only to notice the shift lever is nowhere to be found WTF! for a few seconds I am perplexed and think where the fcuk did it go and how! then it dawns on me... I only tightened the locking nuts with my fingers and in my excitement of preparing for my first ride in a long time forgot to cinch the nuts up to the correct torque.

Now WTF do I do! I stay calm because thats the kinda operator I am ;) options.... options.... i'm thinking to myself. I'm in 4th with a hell of a lot of luck I can ride this thing all the way home provided I don't have to stop and even if i do at least the walk home won't be so long. Option 2 I stop now and see if I can fix the problem, but if I stop there really is no way of getting moving again unless I want to ride home in first and again hope I don't have to stop.

I decide to stop and attempt to fix the problem but I am certain I won't be able to as I can't see the shift linkage when I look down and without it I am fcuked.

I pull over and not a moment to soon... I dismount look down and can see the shift linkage is still hanging on and its an easy fix and i'll be mobile again.

I barely touched the linkage as it fell to the gound it was hanging on by less the half a thread! a few more seconds of riding and it would have been lost and my problem much larger.

So i get it fixed despite the bikes tool kit having no 10mm spanner despite that being the most commonly sized nut and bolt on a jap bike.

The good news is with the things tighten up properly I can now shift easily and consistently I've got my nerve back and I'm itching to do some more riding.

Note to self make sure you tighten everything up properly! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!
    • Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Good on you mate!

So besides the inevitable shit going wrong, how much did you miss it? I've only ever had breaks off the bike of a month when I've traveled, and when I get back the sensation of getting back on the bike again is overwhelming. You must have been screaming in excitement.
  3. I've had a couple of incidents where I couldn't use my gear lever. One I got it into second and limped home, the other the lever broke and I went back and found the stub of the bolt and managed to get enough length to make it to work and back home again.

More in the vain of the thread, I once forgot the tighten the pinch bolt for the adjuster on my single sided swing arm.

Off to work in the morning, geared down at a corner not far from home and the chain suddenly goes completely slack. Barely limp home and spend the next hour or so gradually tightening all the slack out of the chain again. Get to work about 2 hours late in the end.

Single sided swingarms are good for changing tyres, but in that circumstance are a biatch.

I'm sure there are dozens of others that I've wiped from my memory.

My first bike didn't have a side stand kill switch and I remember riding with that down for a bit.
  4. (y) Good to see you starting to ride again mate.

My should have known better moment was touring and I was intending to catch up with friends who had a property out the back of Echuca. Riding in was on a downhill stretch with that very fine clay surface. It had been raining, the bike was heavy with tent and all the touring gear. I am sure you can see where this is going

I was singing a mantra in my head, "Don't touch the front brake ... Don't touch the front brake ... " and I touched the front brake, fell badly cracked a rib. Very painful ride back to Melbourne the next day. One of the worst times I have experienced on a bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Good for you !!!- so glad you can ride again- but there nothing like the fear of fear and the sweet sweet relief of losing some of it and realising that you will be okay. (y)
    There is a ride down to Cronulla from Moorebank posted on upcoming events if you are interested and want some company or cajoling!:troll:
  6. the urge to go riding was always present and over the last few months I taken the bikes out on the driveway and around the cul-de-sac 1st and 2nd gear more just to see if i could and its only been in the last few days i think i have been medically fit to actually ride somewhere.

normally when you have a stack you get back on and your nerves don't get the better of you, but after serious injury and almost a year off the bikes its taken a bit to get back on.

honestly though, punching it from 0-100, that feeling of the front end getting light and my arms coming out of my shoulder sockets, a few sweepers and it all came back to me
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. yeah i have ridden with Senetor17Senetor17 and would probably go if it was more local but cronulla is a little far and I am not sure about my endurance and think it is something i am going to have to build up to the change in shape of my tail bone and pelvis makes sitting pain full after a while, while I am not feel any discomfort sitting on the bike for short periods i don't want to get 3/4 of the way to cronulla and be fcuked
  8. Yes, Henry Lawson Drive between Picnic Point Rd and River Rd is an absolute hoot; at least it was in the late '70s when I lived in Panania and that was the Friday night pastime. Now some twit has put a speed camera right in the middle of it.

Clint, good to see that a) you're back on the bike, and b) that you got home safely
  9. Great to hear that you are able to get out and ride again, mate!! And nothing wrong with your timing with the 'do I stop or keep going' dilemma?!
    My best 'should have known better' goes back to '79 and my Yamaha XS-650, on which I had a rack and a nice fibre-glass top box. I had been at Amaroo Park for a race meeting and I called in at a mate's place on the way home. Mate's mum gave me a couple of kilos of home-grown tomatoes, wrapped up in two robust plastic bags, to take home to Mrs Hornet.
    When I arrived home 160kms later, everything in the top box, spare clothes, cameras, some tools, etc, etc, was swimming in 4" of the finest tomato puree you have ever seen........
    • Funny Funny x 5
  10. Can I nominate someone else?
    Like my mate who rode with us as far as Kiandra on a Saturday afternoon before discovering he didn't have any rubber left on the centreline of his rear tyre...?

I'll add myself.
    Traffic jam at roundabout, stuck behind bus, thought I would just ride up over a traffic island and get in front of the bus. I got up there OK but the grassed surface was sodden and squishy. I made it to the far side but the front tyre sunk in against the concrete verge with my right foot dangling some centimetres above solid bitumen. Cue slow surrender to gravity.
    Plaudits to the bus driver for being decent about it and helping me get it upright and off the road, which was quite difficult.
    It took me a while to realise that the handguard was crushed hard against the brake lever, which was why it wouldn't move.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Many moons ago I overfilled the scooter with oil. I couldn't get it past 90 and it started overheating badly. Side of a freeway oil dump into a discarded coke bottle is a fun experience.
  12. yip Suzuki across, used to be my commuter and was treated that way, i used to look at the chain hanging slack between the sprocket... i'll get around to that.

4am riding to work out the drive way, give it a fist full "TWA-PING" the chain jumps the rear sprocket, lucky it didn't lock up the wheel, so I slip the chain back over the rear sprocket (yes! that is how loose it was) and still rode it to work only a little gentler

Done that to, only noticed when it started scraping along the ground then folded it self up.

Thought I would attempt to bring the Mrs. home a couple of apple pies home from Robertson... even avoided going back down the pass for fear i would nocc 'em around to much on bends... Not as bad as tomato puree but endless to say the cardboard box cam open the pies came out busted apart and put pastry and apple every where.
  13. When I was young (yes and dumb(er)) and also in South africa where the cops generally didn't give too much of a shit, I had no money to fix my bikes properly. So I always had stuff falling off:

- gear lever on XT500 due to the end piece of the gear selector being so worn the lever couldn't tighten onto it properly
    - front spocket guard on same bike was broken off and spocket used to come off occasionally (with chain) and scare the hell out of me
    - V&H slip on on the CB900 slipped right off on the highway (freeway here in Aus) - had to stop and run back and pick it up (hot!) using army webbing belt lol...
    - oh yes and the keys used to slip out of the ignition of the XT500 and fall out while riding (bike still running), had to play "go find the keys in traffic" a few times (used to be able to start that bike with a coin the ignition was so worn).

Basically doing all the wrong stuff! Happy to be doing it better these days...
  14. The scary thing is I am able to tick of as having done what every body else has done... maybe I don't know better?
  15. Yes, RD350 about 11am Saturday morning on Henry Lawson Drive at Peakhurst (opposite school), hit a bump, keys fly, I stop, run into Saturday morning peak hour traffic, dodge cars, nab keys, place back in bike and away. This had occurred before so I started loosely tying the keys to the handlebars.

Also not a great idea to carry 4 litre tins full of paint on a bike. I don't need to say anymore!
  16. Stupid things an experienced rider shouldn't have done

January 2003 Parked my bike on grass, walked away to think 'hmm maybe I shouldn't have parked it there" turned around to watch the side stand slowly sink and the bike every so slowly and gracefully and gently fall over - no damage.

Mothers Day 2004. Tried to keep up with a mate who was a whole lot better and a whole lot faster than me on a road I'd ridden many many times. Didn't work out so well for me, basically lost the plot on some gravel I should have known was there and ended up in a 2ft culvert which was right where I was looking. Even at the time I knew I shouldn't have been looking there, but I did. I rode the bike home and waited 3 months for the insurer/repairer to get their collective acts together.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hi Clint, great to hear that you are back on the bike. Looking forward to riding with you again. I'll keep positng up rides and you're welcome to join us when you feel up to it. Glad to hear you are continuing to imporve.
  18. I used a non O-Ring type joining link in an O-Ring chain once - temporarily, of course, just till I could get the right type, of course and let it go, as one does and yep, dropped the chain out on the road. No damage to case (whew!) Hitched to town got 2, fitted one and blew the time of my trip out by a couple of hours. PIA - could've been avoided.
  19. I got half way to Perth and discovered a rear flat on my cruiser. No puncture repair kit either. When I got off, I looked at the tyre, and no repair kit was going to fix it. I had worn through the belts until it let go of the air. The missus came and rescued me with the trailer, but it was a long Sunday afternoon when it should have been a fun Sunday afternoon.
  20. I'll ride down to the servo to say g'day but probably not come on the ride.
    • Like Like x 1