Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I saw a biker clipped on the Monash this morning

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by doonx, Jun 9, 2005.

1. He was on a slightly older BMW with the hard plastic paniers, he was about 2 - 2½ car lengths in front of me and we were in the outside lane.

A woman in a black commodore just change lanes into him, point of contact being the panier (luckily), he must have been at her B pillar when she started to move. He didn't seem to swerve at all to avoid her (maybe he wasn't looking at 90degs to hsi bike), but perhaps he accelerated to try and get past her.

Anyway, she clipped his panier with a reasonable wack, it didn't break, but he wobbled a fair bit and then looked around at her. He went to the outside breakdown lane and stopped. She looked carefully behind her as I was passing her (thankfully) and then pulled over. He seemed fine, she was probably pooping herself.

At least it ended with no-one hurt. Can't be careful enough out there people.
  2. another 'sorry, i didn't see you' at least he didn't end up in the wire fencing :shock:
  3. Another 'I don't need to look in my mirrors or do a headcheck' tintopper. Thankfully no one was hurt.
  4. Had one coming to work this arvo . After it happened i saw her speeding up towards me and i thought , here we go . But all she wanted to do was apologise . Looked like she was almost crying so i just gave her a no worries wave . Must be getting soft in my old age.
  5. At least in Doonks' example the driver did the right thing and stopped. And no-one was hurt (there've been too many lately).
  6. All I can say is those BMW's are tough bastards as are their riders.
    :twisted: :twisted:

Glad to hear the rider was ok and no real harm done.
  7. Strike one up for the tintopper clipping a bike :D

Cheers 8)
  8. I had one wednesday evening going home on the Eastern, older gentleman in his Jaguar decides to move into my lane as I am at his front door. Needless to say I gave a quick squirt to get in front of him. Slowed the heart rate and then turned my head around and gave him the look and the hand raise. No response at all. Nothing. The only reason I knew he was going to move was as I got to the rear of the front door his indicator flashed once and then he moved. No head check or anything. Mind boggling.
  9. May a newbie ask what a B pillar is?
  10. The roof support between a car's front door window and rear side window :)
  11. This has happened 5 times in the last 2 days..... Car drivers not doing head checks and just mergin... So, I stay on the horn until they notice and then just shake my head as I ride by.
  12. would you define it as merging or just changing lanes to annoy you.
  13. Merging, without looking to see if I was there......
  14. I keep my thumb on the horn too, and I love it, and I hope it embarrasses the crap out of them.

I had a taxi try it once, and I didn't think he was going to move back into his lane (cause he was half in mine), but I just kept the horn going and the same speed, and eventually he moved back. Poofta.

It's perfectly legal to use your horn to avoid a collsion, so I use it to the max - don't think it specifies how many seconds that's allowed to be, but mine last as long as it takes to get the message across :p
  15. Vic road laws state that the horn is there to be used as a warning to prevent an incident, it should not be used as a rebuke.
    As far as I'm concerned, the way you describe your actions, you were using it to inform the taxi driver that there was an impending incident therefore adhereing to the road laws...:LOL:
  16. Seems to me you are invisible to them,
    maybe you should revisit your lane position?
    It happens to most of us where complacency sets in and we don't concentrate as best we should.