Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"I ride a harley"

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by chrome, Dec 4, 2009.

1. So, I'm travelling north into the city on the Princes highway this morning, a bloke comes out of the BP servo on the right across the oncoming lanes into the lane I'm in. I realised what he was doing and could apply the brakes in time, albeit with the usual, oh crap I hope the car behind me sees me braking.

I pulled up alongside his window and said, "Mate, you realise you made me slam my brakes on back there?"

After many statements along the lines of "I didn't see you" and "you weren't there when I looked" he said "I ride a harley, I always look!". I pointed out that I had been in the right hand lane the whole time, and after the car in front passed him, he turned in front of me.

Lights went green so no further discussion could be had, but my feeling is he saw a gap and that gap was me.

I can understand, it's hard to judge distances when there is only a single headlight, but surely if you see a headlight, you double check? Especially if you ride?

I wasn't following too closely, I had about a 4-5 second gap in front. Maybe that was the problem. But if it had been 3 seconds, there would have been a collision if he had turned when he did, so I dunno. That's my rant for this morning.

2. I wouldn't have bothered with any discussion.
    Just blast 'em with the Stebel & yell out "WTF???". Faux Pas or otherwise, just let's 'em know how ya feeling, & you can move on.

Rob :music:

3. There's a clue. Riding a Harley, he doesn't comprehend the closing speed of a sportsbike. :wink:

4. Nobody out there can see you, get used to it and plan for it.

If car drivers didn't make life interesting for us out there, we'd have nothing to do.

5. How much traffic was there? Could he have waited say, another 20 seconds or so to allow a safe gap so he could enter the road?

I really get annoyed, not to mention having the crap scared out of me, when people decide to pull out in front of you, despite there being little traffic behind me. It's worse on the Princes Freeway heading to or from Melbourne where there are level intersections. These cockheads just HAVE to play the risk game, forcing you to brake or to suddenly merge right or whatever. (what's worse is when they pull out and move over to the right lane).

Had this happen to me recently. Intersection, Longwarry/Princes Fwy, next to a new BP servo. Copper was on the western side of the intersection with the radar. Dickwad comes to intersection, doesn't stop at the stop sign and pulls out in front of me. Copper ignores this. He's more concerned with booking speeders doing 108 km/h in what was a 110 km/h zone up until recently.

6. He probably only rides it once a week on Sundays - on fine days - in summer...
    :)

7. oh you mean like sportsbike riders :cheeky::LOL:

8. I think you did the right thing.
    You saw the situation developing and managed it. In doing so you may have turned an incident into a hear miss or maube not even a near miss..

Talking to the guy as you did probably willl make him think twice about the event , Yelling at him achieves nothing and does nothing at all to make the driver evaluate waht he may have done..

Consider why or how things like this occur.

Maybe the guy was in a rush..lets face it we are all in a rush at times. He , like the majority of drivers are conditioned to look for larger objects. Our bikes can get lost amongst the visual clutter. Additionally humans are more likely to identify a hazard based on the risk.. Things that are going to cause us a lot of risk or danger are more likely to be noticed than things which dont register as high on the risk meter.

Maybe there was a larger vehicle somewhere behind you and the guy looked and straight tohrough you to the larger vehicle??

Sure oif the guy was paying more attention, or didnt have other things on his mind he may have paused a fraction longer to fully assess the situation, but he didnt.

So what does this mean? Well it means that I need to take responsibility for my own safety. I can do thiss by paying attention, doing my mobile risk assessmant as I ride along. moving away and or slowing down to manage a hazard or maintain my safety space, ( as you did) We should expect that not every road user has the education or mental ability to deal with every situation while on the road because there are many many distractions.

Things like this are always going to happen, its up to use toi make sure we have done everything to be seen and everything we can do to see pthers..

Maybe a slight change of direction withing your lane may have caused the other driver to look at you and maybe he wouldnt have pulled ot.

Also remember that human reaction time can also have an effect ....

As for the single headlight thing. Maybe he became familiar with your headlight, became distracted or his attention was grabbed by something else and because your light was just coming along as normal his brain filteres it out.
    A similar thing happens to us with noise. Many of the emergency vehicles have sirens blarring as they approach an intersection and then before the enter the intersection they change the pitch and tone of the siren. Why? Well they discovered that people were getting used to hearing the normal siten..even if it were for a few seconds. They discovered that the pitch change asw I described greatly reduced the number of accidents and near misses for them at intersections. HOw? By creating a change in the environment. We can do the same on our bike by a slight change in direction as we approach a a side st ort similar when we see a car waiting..

9. That's no excuse. In fact, it should be regarded as contributory negligence in my view. Same for the SMIDSY "excuse".

And I get this happening in the car (Mazda Tribute which isn't exactly small).

Maybe this is a good reason for the introduction of hazard perception training when, as a part of our licence renewals, we have to undergo, as well as other refresher training.

That much is a given. However, it sounds like you're allowing car/truck drivers to abrogate all responsibility. Just like that comments from the TAC people about THAT advert...

If this were the case then I'd argue that we, as motorcyclists, should be allowed to ride as we see fit in order to minimise the risks and to avoid the hazards, whether they be perceived or real. Currently, that we get booked for some things that we do to ensure our safety.

10. We should do like what France did, just twist your trottles and kick that car or take one of his mirror off and piss off.

11. Naughty naughty, Thats not nice,

Drop your boot into his door panel, its amazing how easy they dent, that makes them think about motor cyclists, Good or bad, They are reluctant to do it again,
    Brian.

12. The problem is often people /don't/ see the single headlight. They're looking for cars and larger vehicles, 'other things like me or bigger' i.e. threats to watch out for and give way to. A motorcycle/scooter/pushbike ticks none of these boxes. Unfortunately this occasionally leads to people 'looking' but not 'seeing'.

I wonder how often this happens when the rider anticipates and does a little side-to-side weave? I try it on occasionally when I think someone's going to be stupid and pull out in front of me.

13. Chrome,

1. Goodonya
    2. It doesnt matter whether he rides or what he rides. He didnt seeya
    3. You did what you had to do to stay alive and well. Keep doing so as you can never assume anyone else will do whats right.
    4. Actually applies to whatever you are riding/driving .. there are always others that arent paying attention.

Keep doing whatcha doing and stay alive.

P.S. There are a lot of similar threads here but it is good to keep new ones coming in reminding everyone that we are all vulnerable. This is too damm critical.

Cheers

14. And now your attitude is exactly the thing that will get you into trouble.
    The underlyinhg message is that we as riders cannot rely on anyone else to keep us safe. Why? Because we are humans and we arent perfect. With this in mind and if we have the right attitude and we take responsibility to ourselves. Call it denial or whatever but the easy way out is to blame someone or something else instead of blaming ourselvesw for not recognising the situation and taking action to mitigate or change the outcome for the best. To do this meaqns we are being proactive..
    You seem to have been lucky in your instance but , you acted in a proactive manner nut become reactive and you will crash and blame to guy that pulled out of you or the truck last friday that dropped gravel on the road that you rode on today and ,,,,blah blah blah..

15. Just call him the F-word and ride off into the sunset :D
    (Note: South Park reference)

16. Bullshit.

I'm saying that the other guy seems to advocating that non-motorcyclists be given a free pass and that we have the onus, the burden of keeping safe soley upon us.

It's a two way street. Non-motorcyclists need to be trained, to be educated, brainwashed if necessary to acknowledge that there are vulnerable road users out there and that they have to take responsibility for looking out for them.

By the same token we have to always be on high alert in keeping an eye out for the stupid twats who can't drive for nuts.

And it's this attitude that has kept me in one piece since I started riding in 1974.

What about you?

17. Not one crash ever and I cant remember the last near miss I had, I can remember peolep[ cuting in front of me but I could see what was developing and took action before it turned nasty.

The minute you start blaming others for things the closer you are to having an incident.