Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need your input!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TheDirectrix, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Hey everone, i'm only new here but I was hoping you all could offer some of your 'expert ;)' knowledge here.

I'm 16 and will be getting my learners permit very soon and I have two bikes in my eyes and can't decide which to chose. I've looked all over the net for pros and cons etc. but I figured I might as well ask first hand here :). So I'm tossing up between:

* A 1992 CBR250 with only 25,000km on the clock, good condition from what I can see, but comes without roadworthy/rego. They want $2000 but I could probably get it for $1750 with any luck (they want it gone before christmas!)

* A 2008 Hyosung GT250R, done 8000km, great condition and comes with rego, a helmet and a drirder jacket. This is $3500 with is a little out of my price range but I can get the now money and pay it off (probably take 2-3 months with my 15hr a week job at safeway haha).

So what do you guys think? I know alot of people get rid of their first bike once they get off their L's, so should I just get the cheap CBR? Or pay the $2k extra and get the newer hyosung that will last?

NOTE: I can just afford the CBR at the moment but that doesnt take into account the rego/insurance etc.

2. price up your insurance 1st and take that into account as it can be very pricey for young riders. If the honda is in good order and you are comfortable on it i'd go that way, a nice cheap bike to learn on that doesn't matter about scratches if you drop it. But i'd want it roadworthied or inspected 1st to ensure it isn't a lemon
  3. Good to see that you are taking gear into account, but as Waedwe notes, you need to take insurance into account too. I suspect that the Honda might attract a (relatively) higher premium than the Hyosung.

Plus the Hyosung's mileage is genuine, the Honda's mileage is a rubbery figure at best

And welcome to Netrider :)
  4. My advice is to save up until you can afford everything upfront: 3rd party insurance, RWC, rego, gear (buy a NEW full faced helmet), and any work that needs to be done/parts that need replacing on either of the bikes, eg brake pads.
  5. I'd also be suspect about the km on the Honda and that it doesn't come with Roadworthy or Rego. You might end up spending a lot to get it into shape. I'd be, at least, asking why it has no roadworthy.
    Do you have someone who can check these bikes over thoroughly?
  6. Thanks for the replies!
    The owner of the CBR says he is upgrading his bike and 'hasn't had the time' for renewal of the rego. Me and my step-dad are going to check it out today to see if it seems legit and what work is needed on it as I'm also skeptical on the kms. 25,000kms in 20 years seems funny.

Oh and insurance wise, they were both very similar (I was quoted third party was about $250 per year for both bikes with NRMA) which seems pretty good to me
  7. Third Party you have to pay anyway, it's part of your registration. What you need is Comprehensive Insurance, and THAT'S going to be expensive. If you run your pride and joy into a Merc and you're not insured for the other vehicle, you could be paying for i for years.....
  8. Huh? I thought third party covers anything you damage in an accident (thats not yours) whereas comprehensive covers you for theft, fire, damage to your own bike. Which IMO isn't worth getting as it cost around $2000 a year which is all the CBR is worth?
  9. You may be thinking of Third Party Property Damage (or 'bomb') insurance; if available that covers damage to another vehicle or property, but not to your own vehicle....

Third Party insurance that you pay with your rego covers injury you might cause to a third party, ie, some PERSON you hit while you are riding, (or a pillion if one is injured or killed on your bike while you are riding it.)

Comprehensive insurance covers repairs or replacement of your bike if it's involved in an accident, or stolen, AND damage to any other VEHICLE OR PROPERTY that you might hit in an accident.

I know you say that Comprehensive Cover is the same amount as the price of the bike, but, as I said above, if you hit a $250,000 Mercedes and you're not insured, how are you planning on paying for ITS damage/replacement??
  10. These days you can get comprehensive insurance alot cheaper if you are happy to raise the excess (the minimum you pay if something goes wrong). Ask for a quote with the excess up to ~$10K so that you won't go into heaps of debt if the worst happens, but you can still afford some insurance.
  11. With third party property insurance :-s

Under 25 years old, TPPD is usually under $200 whereas comprehensive is about $3,000 with an excess close to $2,000. The advantages of getting comp over TPPD simply are not worth it at all no matter how you look at it when the premium is more than the bike's worth let alone including the excess too.

In this situation the only difference in cover between comprehensive and TPPD cover is that if you had comprehensive over TPPD you'd have your own bike replaced too if at fault. This is after paying more than the bike's worth anyways in just insuring the thing, let alone paying the excess.

It's extremely unlikely you'll be able to afford comp so get TPPD. If you cannot afford insurance you cannot afford to ride, it's really as simple as that. As Hornet said, you can really get into a total black hole of debt from motor vehicle accidents - have you ever thought why a simple sub-$200 p.a. policy covers you up to $20 million? Even a minor accident will cause thousands in damage in modern cars and you will be 100% responsible if you caused it

12. He can get third party property damage which will cover him in this situation.

edit todacat beat me to it
  13. I think it should be illegal to operate a vehicle without TPPD. You shouldn't even be able to register a vehicle without it.
  14. I'd be suspect about that. It might only take an hour to take it out and get a Pink Slip for it.
    Assuming rego is less than 3 months expired I wouldn't buy it unless he supplies a pink slip.
  15. i'd also never trust a 2nd hand helmet. Too many bumps and bangs and it can look fine but have lost it's inner shell impact abortion layers
  16. #16 Dougz, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Forget the Hyosung. Too unreliable and no warranty for the numerous faults that will appear.
  17. Just went too look at the CBR and it looked alright. By the looks of it it had been dropped once (not very hard, just small scratches to one side), but it will probably only need a new mirror, front brake pad and handlebar balancers (i think thats what they're called?) for roadworthy. He also said he has owned it for 8 years, 5 of which it had been unused and unregistered (he got a new bike), which could explain the low kms. But do note that the bike was idling well. So once the bike is registered, it will probably end up costing around $2300ish ready to go, compared to the hyosung $3500 ready to go.
    This doesn't include insurance and gear.

Have you had a bad experience with the Hyosung? Anyone else have thoughts on the reliability of the Hyosung?
  18. Hyosungs are not the best make out there. Inferior build and known to be underpowered. They have gotten better I recent years and for that matter 2008 maybe not too bad but who knows...
  19. $3500 isn't bad for the '08 Hyo 250, but the CBR is too old and not been ridden enough. I'd be more suss about the CBR than the second hand gear that probably won't fit properly.

Hyos have a bad reputation, but the newer ones are better than the older ones. People hate on the korean bikes now as much as they did on the jap bikes many years ago. give it a few years and people will be too busy hating on chinese bikes to worry about the korean ones. if I was going to get a hyo I'd get a post-2010 model with EFI but you DO get what you pay for. think of the hyo like the hyundais and daewoos.

personally I'd steer clear of both, save a bit more cash and keep your eyes open as to what comes up over the next few weeks.

Keep an eye on places like gumtree, bikepoint and trading post for bikes in your price range and the right one will come up eventually. just needs a bit of patience.
  20. buying an old bike that doesn't have a roadworthy could get expensive. at least get a mechanic to look at it so you know what you're up for.