Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need tips on new tyres...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Widget, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

As it turns out, I need new front and rear tyres for my 2008 Suzuki GS500. The local(ish) Suzuki dealer quoted me roughly $400 for the MICHELIN pilot installed.. not sure if that's good or not, but wanting to sell my bike, was wondering if you guys could give suggestions on other (cheaper) brands that would still be good.

I'm located in western sydney, NSW, any places deliver interstate ?

What about importing from the U.S? I understand some guys import, saving a fair bit of money compared to buying locally.. obviously taking into account shipping and finding/paying for installation.

According to the Suzuki GS500 manual I have, it states,

Front Tyre Size - 110/70-17 M/C 54H, tubeless

Rear Tyre Size - 130/70-17 M/C 62H, tubeless

not sure if the bike can handle larger tyres or not, was planning to stick with stock, unless recommended going up a size?

BikeBiz have the "Pirelli Sport Draon" pair for $270 ... not sure if they're any good or not, or whether they're tubless or need a tube.
    They also have the "Dunlop GT601" pair for $250, again, not familiar... :/

Any assistance would be super.

2. I save big $$$ getting them from the US, even after shipping and fitting costs, but seeing you're selling the bike, simply go for the GT601, nothing to be gained by going up a size. The GS runs tubeless too.
  3. I'm not brave enough to put a cheap dunlop on the front. Bridgestone bt45s are regarded as the best compromise for those size tyres, $300 a set. I've used them, they're pretty good. Rim is too narrow for wider tyres, makes the handling very exciting.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. If your selling your bike anything u spend your never going to get back. Go for the cheapest name brand u can find. That set for $250 will do for a bike like yours.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nihilli's suggestion of BT45s is probably a fair thing. They are a reasonable tyre.

Known dodgy tyres on a bike at sale time will not help the sale, where the first thing a prospective buyer will want to do is change the tyres, they will want to negotiate the price down in $100s of dollar steps, which is understandable. Decent tyres on a bike show a prospective buyer that you care as much as a good clean and polish does, maybe more.

It doesn't matter so much if the bike is going to a dealer as a part of a trade in - you'll probably get screwed anyway, but it does matter in a private sale.

If there is no urgency on the sale, think about what you'd want to be riding on for a while.
  6. Pirelli Sport Demons are good tyres, especially for light bikes.

I have them on my cbr250rr and they stick like glue.

Having cheap tyres on a bike that you're going to sell is a false economy, as buyers will know more than you think they do and will be factoring in a new set of tyres into their bargaining.

Better off putting a set of quality tyres on as it will show potential buyers that you really do care about the bike and how it rides.

I havn't really looked into importing tyres but I imagine the savings only really occur when buying expensive tyres for bigger bikes. If ordering online you will need to add fitting costs at your local bike shop, whereas if you buy the tyre they will generally offer free fitting (if you bring just the wheels in), so factor that into your calculations.

I suggest going to your local bike shop and having a chat with them to see what they can offer.
  7. For what it's worth I have the sport dragons on my bike too. No complaints.

I agree with sticking with the known name brands. Looks better to the buyer.
  8. #8 Widget, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Thanks guys :)

If people would probably negotiate with new tyres in mind, should I just try selling the bike with the current tyres and just make a note in the advert that it needs new tyres?

Any suggestions on who/where the best prices are for tyres?

[EDIT] Will I need to go to a motorcycle specific tyre place to install, or can I do to any vehicle tyre place?
  9. If your selling it I would either sell as is or hunt around for some 2nd hand Tyres and put them on. It might even pay to check the used tyre pile at your local bike shop, I get free Tyres off their quite often and some still have over 50% tread left on them