Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need new boots, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by goddie, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Hi folks, my aldi boots are in need of replacement and seeing as Aldi didnt have any to sell this year I will have to find another brand, keeping it simple, I commute, and on the odd occassion go on a ride, keeping in mind in Nov, cup weekend am going on the snowy ride, so need to ensure boots to be waterproof or very water resistant, safety is key too, I have spotted the Dririder Nordic and now Nordic 2, have read on here from 2008 Hornet's post on Nordic and other agreeing with him that they are a good boot, have also spotted AlpineStars boots on fleabay, my limit is under $200, used boots I dont mind, if they are quality boots they'd last longer then Aldi boots I'd say.
    All feedback is welcome I havent limited myself to just these 2 brands but the funs limitation I have found the Nordics being new and alpine stars as used to be in very good condition for the price range.

ok, fire away :)
  2. You can pick up a pair of A* SMX-5 from RevZilla for just over $200.
  3. in amcn peter stevens are advertising thomas cook calibre boots for $99.95 or they might have something decent in the clearance centre
  4. The only thing I associate thomas Cook is with travel, are they a good boot? and thanks for the heads up.
  5. Seen them on fleabay for about $229 I think, cheers have you got these? any good?
  6. I saw them a few weeks ago - too tough for my liking and the sales guy also said that they're a bit average.

The SMX-5 are pretty good from what I've heard. The price has come down a bit so worth their money.

(y) Thanks for the link. I have ICON ATM for the last the last year and a half and they've been pretty good so wouldn't mind picking something like these.
  7. I have a pair of the TC boots on clearance. They are tough to start with. I decided to wear them in at work. They became so comfy I still wear them all day. That was probably 12 weeks ago.

My only beef with them is that they are showing a lot of wear in the creases. I guess that's why they're on clearance. Other than that, I can't complain. They look pretty decent too IMO.
  8. Thanks for the link Raj, they look good !

Alot of wear in creases after 3 months is a worry to me, the aldi's only split at front after 12 months, torque was the brand. Interested to keep the TC progress though
  9. My friend has a pair of vented and waterproof ones. He says they are so comfortable.

I'm going to trust him and get myself a pair for christmas.
  10. Keep in mind I am wearing them around 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.
  11. I have seen these are they waterproof? My concern is to keep the feet dry if its encountered in the high country next month.
    Thanks for the heads up on the inner soles. Definately a possiblity for the price!! cheers
  12. Well thats a different kettle of fish then. Will keep them in mind thanks
  13. Here you go Goddie, got off my ass to take a pic for you.

This is 3 months, everyday workday, 10hrs p/day

At the end of the day, they're only $100 bucks.

14. I'd be going the A* too if they've come down in price as has been said... that'd be an awesome deal. Those boots are comparable-ish to my Sidis which were $500. They seem pretty cushiony inside too which is good (not up my alley personally but most people seem to find that comfortable).
  15. The only time my feet got wet was when the water went down my leg into the boot. The boots have a liner that is like Gortex, but doesn't carry the price because it doesn't carry the brand name. Like any footwear, look after them and they'll look after you. I use a waterproofing spray from BCF on all my gear, it works well, even on my jeans. It's called Atsko silicon water-guard.

Don't use things like Dubbin; they can soften and swell the leather and you end up with a saggy deformed boot.
  16. Rjays Highway boot is waterproof, full length, comfy to walk in all day and $120 from mcas.

Not really the worlds most feature packed boot but it was the cheapest full length boot i could find when i needed boots.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. thanks for the tips, can I ask, what's BCF ??appreciate the Atsko tip too
  18. Well at $120 and being fully waterproof they sound like a good buy, not looking for fancy but practical and safe, main thing, waterproof and these might fit the bill, thanks