Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need advice on a good first bike to purchase?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jimbos, May 13, 2006.

1. Hi everybody - I am looking at buying my first bike (a 4 stroke 250) this week - Are there any general tips - I dont know much about bikes - yet. I am looking at a $2000 to $3000 budget - Its for riding to work everyday (Moorabbin to CBD) - So something reliable and cheap to run/service & for parts. Are there any good places/shops to look at? My mates tell me the Honda VTR250s are great but out of my price range - I have been looking at Kawasaki GPX250s, Suzuki Across and the Honda CBR250s. Should I save up more cash? Trail or road bike? New or used? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers Jimbos
  2. Do a search on previous forum topics -in this area - plenty of info for you to trawl thru.

Good luck with everything!
  3. mate all really depends - upright bikes like the VTR250 are easier to get through traffic but the CBR's and the like are a little harder but they as with everything you'll get used to it. I went from an 'upright' bike to a sports bike and man felt wierd lying on the tank.

Try the Hornet or Balius as well - they are upright bikes and a lot cheaper than the VTR- I think the Balius has the Zx2 engine in it and does look pretty cool as well.
  4. CBR250s tend to be overpriced - so anything you find for $2-3000 may not be in very good condition. The GPX or the Across are both very good choices, especially if you want to avoid buying a grey import. You might also want to have a look at the Honda Spada - essentially an early version of the VTR but with an alloy frame not steel.
  5. had a look at the hyosung gt250r, they are allright for a 250
  6. ahh, to be a newbie again...oh, the memories...

remember knowledge is power. do your homework!

saying that i'm allittle concerned that you say you're about to go out and buy a bike this wk in the same setence as you write that you don't know much about them...

as to your question: like it was mentioned you might want to take a look at the honda spada if you're into 'nakeds'.

have fun.
  7. Don't forget the venerable ZZR's too. Good idea would be to go to some bike shops and sit on a few and get a feel for the riding position and seat comfort......even if you want to buy privately.
  8. Thanks for the advise - I have been searching previous netrider forum topics and the VTR is growing on me - I'm 30 years of age 6ft tall and 100kg so I am looking for an upright bike. I like the look of the VTR (not much flaring) I will take a look at the Spada as well. Im just going to have to squeeze another $2500 into me budget.

Cheers Jimbos