Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need a scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by Sleddog, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Hello scooter people ,I need your help. :)

Im looking for a scooter for the better half ,and this is what we need.

$2000 or under.new or used don't mater.
    Must be able to hit 50kph ,if thats top speed its fine.
    Must be lite as lite can be ,smaller the better.
    Must have under seat storage or top box ,best have both I think.

Need for 2.5km in 50kph zone straight road to the shops and back ,total of 5km per day ,may 5.2km ,if she goes via the beach on the way home. :wink:

I did check out a yamaha Jog 50 today it looked perfect ,very small and lite and had abit of room under the seat and used at $1600 ,but new ones are around $2000 :?

Any tips on other bikes that might suit ,been doing alot of reading ,didn't know there where so many scooters about. :shock:

2. dont you need a bike/scoot license to ride in NSW?

3. So the obvious question is why would you get a 50cc scoot?

Get your wife a 125. That way it can at least comfortably go 60/70/80. I say that because I bet she will end up wanting to take it further afield than the corner shop.

4. Are yes :oops: .

Shes not really keen on bikes ,so a small twist and go scoot won't freak her out .
    She can ride a pushy ok ,so if we take little steps to start then we are heading in the right direction.
    And really all she needs is some thing to do 5km and back ,at this stage.
    If she wants to upgrade in 1 week ,thats fine by me as long as we get her on a bike to start with. :grin:

5. Bolwell Jolie will do what you ask. Of course, so will just about any other 50cc scooter. There are lots of them as you might've noticed, most of them are made in China and imported by different importers under different names. Bolwell is one that has been around on our markets for a while and has pretty good reputation as far as their reliability goes.
    I had one for about a year and it never gave me any trouble.
    You can get brand new one for 2,200 ride away.

6. Thanks for that :grin: ,just did abit of googleing ,it gets some good reviews from owners that just need a bike to zip around local ,just as we need.
    One guys got 8000km on his and no proplems ,it would take us 3 years to do that.

Then seen a 2007 one for $1600 new ,+orc. on bike sales :shock: :grin:
    And 4 year warrenty :shock:

7. I've got a 50cc and I must say .. its OK if you know what your getting :) My personal opinion is to buy a 125cc for almost the same price :) I've seen some brand new 125cc for $1800 (+orc) If 'you' really want to have a 50cc there are second hands on the market for $1200; Greetings *__*

8. Now I've been to a few bike shops and had a look ,you can pick them up 2nd had pretty cheap ,so im happy with that.
    I was sitting on a 50cc at the shop ,with all my bike gear on ,but the helmet ,and two dudes next to me checking out a harley gave me a big grin. :LOL:

I'll just have to convince her to get on one. :?
    I'll wait till my tax check comes and see how we go. :)
    Thanks for your help.

Mel ... got your PM ,thanks for that.
    Can't PM back. :oops:

9. Hey Sled - what about going down with your wife and hiring a 50cc scoot for the day? You never know, she may take to it like a duck to water and be zipping around within an hour or so. Then you could get her on a 125 - just in a car park - and get her to see that they are no more intimidating than the 50's.

But yeah i totally see your point. My girl friend was exactly the same. 50 was the only way to get her to have a go.

10. hi sled I have a 125 Vmoto monaco in the shop i can do for $2000 but will need shiping and stamps it is bright green with a top box and some carbon accents to make it go faster :grin: its not much bigger than a Piaggio zip 100 done about 7600 klm

11. Cheers mate ,but I'll stick with a 50cc ,if A 125cc freaks her out its all over. :?

Duff ,Not a bad Idea to hire one ,I'll look into it. :grin:

Cheers.

12. Brettski !!

I have 3 questions, please answer . . .

1. Does the scoot have a 12V socket to wire in neons ?
    2. Is there enough space on the wheels to put fluro rim-stickers ?

and last,

3. Will Sharon kick your arse through the twisties with it ? :LOL:

My opinion, you should buy Shaz an Aprilia Mojito !
    Its a cruiser style scooter - you might even take it out sometime to cruise with the Boulevarde guys ! :LOL:

13. Brettski !!

and last,

Its a cruiser style scooter - you might even take it out sometime to cruise with the Boulevarde guys ! :LOL:

14. Brettski !!

and last,

15. 3 replys ,you must of been excited when replying :LOL: .

Neons still in the garage ,check.
    Rim stickers ,check.
    Shaza on a 50cc racing me up Maqaurie pass ,HMMMMM ,yeah probably.
    :oops:

Aprilia Mojito ,, I'll google it and check :LOL:

16. hey sleddog dont know if any training places around you offer this service but at deca in victoria you can test ride a scooter for the afternoon to see if it is something you want to take further.
    If there is a good instructor in control it should be a safe and fun atmosphere for your wife to take her first steps, no traffic just on a safe pan to ride on
    When I took my licence at Deca they were using Yamaha scoots but I had seen Hondas there previously all 50cc

My first scoot was a vmoto monaco 125cc and was a great ride to start off with, taught me alot as the different high point of gravity etc and just a great way of starting out. Cheap to buy and was a pretty unproblematic scoot for the 3000kms i kept it for

17. Hi joleb.

I have seen some places do one on one private lessons ,so i can get her a lesson before the L's test ,so its on the cards . :)