Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I need a new helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by tmg, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Now that I have gotten my bike on the road, I am riding as much as I can. Only problem (and I have mentioned this before) is my lid. It presses on my forhead in the centre really bad, and only get worse the faster I go. I had to stop on the way back from my dads place yesterday and take the helmet off for a bit it was that bad.

I know I need a more front-to-back "oval" shaped helmet. Longer than it is wide so it will fit my head right. I know shoei makes this kind of helmet somewhat, as every time I have tried any of the shoeis on, they fit like a glove.

Is there anyone on here who might be selling one soon? I have been to the "Helmet Warehouse" site and they have some good deals on the TZ-R and even the XR-1000s look a good price. I shouldn't have been so hasty to get a lid. I regret it now. :(

2. Keep yours for a spare and plonk down your money for a new lid.
    Used lids should be a no no.

3. i second that 2wheels, you dont know how a used helmet has been treated, if its been dropped or fallen of a shelf, hung on the handle bars and had the foam inside compressed.
    the second a helmets taken one blow its time for a new one, although the outer shell may look okay if the foam on the inside is already compressed its going to offer you no protection in a crash... dont take the risk get a new one.

4. I have exactly the same problem.... weird shaped head. A small or Medium fit me, but hurt a LOT on my forehead. I ended up going for a large, which is honestly too big everywhere, but only just fits across my forehead. Thats how I know if I am getting a good run in morning and afternoon traffic.... if my forehead starts to hurt I have been on the bike for 40 minutes :wink:

That said, I tried on every helmet I could, and had the same problem with all brands, but the Shoei XR1000 was the best fit I could get.

I only bought it six weeks ago and now need to sell it (it's in immaculate condition) as due to unforeseen circumstances I can't ride for a long while, but it's the 'Fab' design, which is a bit girly, so if you are a dude it's probably not for you anyways.

But yeah, interesting to see someone else had the same thing!