Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I must read the stickies

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dub, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can anyone tell me the reason that the ACT only have a rider allowance of 68kgs for bikes over 260cc while all other LAMS states have 90kgs?

Surely the LAMS system should be consitant across all states and territories if they fall under the same LAMS banner.

2. since when did the ACT even care about what other states are doing?? :LOL: :p
  3. Just had alook at the act website and nowhere do they say its LAMS, my bad. :oops:

Typical ACT, they've just made their own rules.
  4. I would be guessing that it is because LAMs bikes even though they have PWR restrictions have more Torque than an equivilent 250, therefore justification for the lower 68kg allownce on a LAMs compliant bike is not there.
  5. Just had a look as well.

See this:

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Motorcycle restrictions flyer.pdf

Says exactly what you said in your initial post...

Strange, but this isn't LAMs. There's absolutely no CC restriction, according to the below list, you can get a Yamaha XV1100 on your L's if you really want...

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Approved list for Learner and Novice Motorcycles.pdf
  6. yep, its all about power to weight ;)
    good system IMO
  7. yeah it's a complete bastard, i live 100 meters from the act border and can only go up 660cc yet in the act i could have ridden my old mans vulcan 1500 nomad legally

basically the only bikes you can ride is any sports orientated bikes above 500cc in a twin cylinder, or any 250 2 strokes, the suzuki m109, HD streetrod and vrod, vulcan 2000 and a few others its a very open market in the act
  8. people in the ACT arn't as fat as the rest of you LAMS muffins
  9. Just strap some fireworks to your bike to boost power, ya whinger :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.