Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I must have a stupidly shaped head...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Simon Lockington, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Gidday guys,
    I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding a perfectly fitting helmet and it's starting to become 'disappointing'.

Originally I bought a large Shoei XR-1000 which after a month or so of wearing, I came to the conclusion it was just too large and didn't fit me as well as I needed.

I then went and tested a medium large AGV and that was nice and tight and seemed fine, but after an hour or so of wearing, when I take it off I have such a red mark on my forehead that it looks like someone has taken a red hot iron to my head. After an hour or so of wearing, I can feel pressure points at the front and back of my head.

I've tried medium Shoei's and Arais and they are too tight, large Arai's are too loose.

I tried an HJC today which was as close as I have come so far, but it still left a noticeable red mark on my forehead after 20 mins of wearing.

I've read a lot about how Arai supposedly have different shaped shells for people with 'intermediate' or 'long' oval shaped heads, which is what I suspect I am. However when I go into shops and ask how you know if the helmet you're trying is a 'long oval' or whatever, no one seems to know.

A couple of questions:
    - How can you tell if the Arai helmet you're trying is one of the special shaped ones (ie long oval)?
    - Are there any suggestions of other makes I can try (and where in Melbourne I can try them) that might suit my oddly shaped head?

It's a bit frustrating that something so basic as this is becoming such a trial, and an expensive one at that...

2. How about a SHARK RSI? They are relatively cheap and i havnt heard anything bad about them. Nothing but good stuff, tho i know what u mean about the SHOEI XR 1000, my cheek pads squooshed rather quick ( powerful cheeks ).

As far as i know SHARKs are available in heaps of shop in Melbourne, though i thought SHOEI XR-1000 came with a choice different shell sizes on request?

hope this helps a bit :)
  3. another vote for Shark..

when I worked in the bike shop, Shark seemed to be the most universally comfortable fitting helmet..
  4. Yeah i agree on the Shark RSI.... Great helmet and as soon as i placed mine on my head i was happy. Nice tight fit without any annoying squashy bits.
    Heaps of shops have them mate, add a tinted visor and you'll be more than happy.
    Hope you find one to fit the melon soon!!!
  5. Thats quite a handy site you posted there wiinis.
    Nice work!!!