Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I must be a leftie.....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jdm, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Just went for a blast around my local backroad before the weather closes in....

Have you guys ever noticed a "good side" and a "bad side"???? I've been riding for about 20 years and never did until I got a full on supersport type bike.....but definately I am favouring one side....

Left turns are technically way better than right....

MMM....maybe I need to go back to Barabagallo Raceway in Perth for some practise!!!! Only ONE left turn (from memory)!!!

2. Lol it is a common thing. Two reasons explain it.

1. When turning left on a road you feel safer coz there is the lane for traffic going the other way so (although you dont want to use it) there is a safety margin there. Whereas turning right, no safety margin other than the road shoulder or worse. Because we worry more about turning right than left our eye direction becomes effected. Where you look is where you go and unfortunately we often look at where we dont want to go!

2. Turning right means we sub consiously "counter steer" in order to make the turn. In other words we push on the right bar. When you turn your head to the right, you automatically put slight pressure on the right wrist (same would go for left turns if you look left). Problem is when turning right and putting pressure on the right wrist you are also trying to have smooth throttle control as well.

What I have seen on many turning right is confidence, eye direction not being the best, and poor throttle control (how ever slight it may be) all adds up to a favorite side.

Just my .02

3. Makes sense Tones...

4. Agree, Tones....hmmm....you are pretty analytical.

I have another theory: it is also probably because we are in Australia, we keep left, and drive on the left side.

So, we have plenty of practice turning left in a tighter corner as opposed to turning right.
  5. to put another slant on that, when i used to ride pushbikes i could only slide the bike out in a left hand slide. could never be co-ordinated to do a right hand slide.. could this have something to do with it??

6. yeh I think it's a combination of what everyone has said.. I also prefer left-handers.

I do think throttle control is an issue, I find myself pulling the left bar instead of pushing the right sometimes.

Also, I used to sit crooked, with my weight slightly to the right. I found it a easier to corner after fixing that too.

Another thing... since almost all roads slope towards the edges, a left turn is positive camber, while the right turn is negative camber = less grip, less confidence etc.