Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I made a boo-boo

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by croakofonix, Jul 9, 2007.

1. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Picked up a shiny new silver FZ6n on Friday and had a really good weekend getting used to the bike inspite of the crap weather, tram tracks and tailgating cagers. Rode it in to work this morning and lay it down as I was trying to park it. I was turning left slowly, leant over and dropped it. Left leg caught under the bike, but managed to wiggle it out. Luckily there was someone nearby to help me lift the bike.
    Inspected it for damage, and the only thing I could see was a bent clutch lever. :cry: :cry: :cry: (But thank God I went for the naked version over the one with fairings...could've been much worse!)

I guess I'm going to need to replace the clutch lever. Damn! I feel like such a d1ckhe@d!!!!
  2. rough luck mate, could have been worse ;)
  3. You're right joel... i'm happy it happened in the car park and not on the road.

Any recommendations on where to get clutch lever replaced?
  4. your nearest yamaha dealer! shouldnt be too expensive, and its easy to do yourself :)
  5. damn sorry to hear, sucks to drop a new bike. But alteast now you have dropped it so you can stop babing it around to scared to scratch her and really start to ride it :wink: :LOL:
  6. hehehe...true
    I'm still breaking it in though....so no REAL riding yet.... :wink:
  7. Sounds very similar to what happened to me on the new z750. :grin:

I was trying to get it out of the garage where there is a bump of concrete I have to roll over, foot slipped and the bike went down. :(

Managed to scratch the engine casing and break the brake lever. :mad:

Be thankful that you have taste and bought a naked bike, otherwise it would have been alot worse! :p
  8. Bad luck, its so sad to see it go down the first time.

I swear, if clutch levers were 1" shorter, they wouldn't break anywhere near as frequently.
  9. This was me after the drop ---> ](*,)
    The bent lever doesn't look too bad actually...and now it's actually 1" shorter :grin:

10. That's why I am thinking about replacing mine with a set of shorty racing levers, like these
  11. Hells bells! Buy a second set for when you sell and grind / cut-off the ends of your existing levers. If you drop it they won't snap.
    Also get some aftermarket bar ends or barkbusters plus oggy knobs. Will save your bacon.
  12. Haha when mine got bent I didn't bend it back as it was in a much better position:D hehe
  13. Keep a spare clutch lever under the seat just in case you think you might drop it again like that, or totally snap it off. At least you'll be able to change it and ride off instead of waiting for a trailer service.

Goodness knows I need a six-pack of those things :oops:
  14. That's actually a very good idea nous. Might go shopping on the weekend and do just that.

15. Hahaha phizog...I was thinking that actually because it DOES look better that way. It's just the end bit that's bent.... problem is the brake lever looks different!
    What's that you say...drop it on the other side? Methinks not! :LOL:
  16. Clutch lever no big deal, you live and you learn
  17. New riders- please practice your low speed riding regularly. It's not as glamorous as scraping knees, but it's harder to master, and is an absolutely essential skill!
    I've seen some absolutely horrid low speed bike handling lately, a bit of practice would make it go away. Saw someone clout a petrol bowser this evening! :shock:

Regards, Andrew.
  18. How do you practice low speed riding? Is it the same things you go through when you do the MOST test (weaving, emergency stop, U-turns etc.)?