Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I Love Voip

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by undii, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Well I was randomly going through call tracker on my ISP's provided "Voice Over Internet Protocol"-VOIP and noticed my (almost) daily calls to my parents who live 40ish kms from Geelong (Indented Head) are clocked in at 15c from here in Melbourne. I had read that only local calls to city are only classified if within something like 50kms from the CBD or something a while ago which my parents (by road) is more like 110 or something?

Maybe it's classified by air distance as they are directly across from Melb CBD on the bay and less than 50kms distance then. Whatever it is, it's great :grin:

2. Don't talk about VOIP !!!
    I have an "emerging technology" lesson and we have been talking voip for the last couple of weeks and it's getting tiring >_>

(Can't say much because my lecturer probably frequents these forums ;))

3. VoIP ain't bad. I chat to my parents in Perth from Melbourne with Skype and it barely costs a thing (if you account for bandwidth etc).

We also just got Voip in our new office, though there are some teething problems.

4. I'm not saying it's bad. It has its pros but it also has its cons. It isn't the be all solution that some people try to make it out to be. Being based on computers it is always going to have more problems than the tried and true PSTN but on the other side it also has much more features and flexibility aswell as the lover cost expecially if you are calling voip to voip.

5. I'm with MyNetFone. Pay no up front fees. 12.5 cents a call anywhere in Oz. 2.7c/min to the US (we have family over there).

I paid $50 into the account a month ago. Its current balance is $30. The equivalent cost by Telstra would be up around the $200 mark given that we have a daughter and son-in-law that's an STD call away, a sister who also lives long distance away, plus all the local calls that we make.

I think that I have paid off the initial capital investment for the VOIP ATA.

I've reduced the phone line bill to the Homeline Budget of around $20/month. Only other charges is Caller ID ($6) and $60 for two mobiles - all on the one bill.

Add in the internet charges, $70/mth for 20/20 gigs ADSL2+, and my total telecoms budget comes to around $166/mth. If it weren't for VOIP then it would be more like $300 a month or more.

6. And a PSTN network isn't based on computers???

7. Not to the same extent.
    I can't be bothered talking about it. Go back to bowing down to your VoIP.

8. It shits me when companies use it for their call centres but skimp on bandwidth or compression technology.

Too hard to understand what is being said.

On the other hand, My work has it's own.
    when connected to the work network (over internet or in the office) I can log on to my PABX extension and make calls as if I was in Melbourne.

It's good when travelling and you have to keep in touch.

9. aparently the latency (of whatever its called) is too high from my ISP so VOIP is really crap from my end.

we do a lot of work calls to the country, so a good voip solution would be quite a benefit to us.

we have tried to integrate everything from Engin to Skype, just to test out call quality and nothing is up to scratch.

10. Thats quite expensive. Shouldn't be paying any more than 10c untimed to any landline across the nation.

11. Based on computers alone doesn't impact VOIP. Removing everything other than computers from a PSTN and VOIP service and they would both rate equally in terms of failure points.
    It's about carrier grade standing and service provider setup.
    In fact, the large majority of PSTN calls now occur over digital services.

12. Question, if you change to VOIP can you keep your existing numbers?

13. VOIP shmoip, mobile plan with $400 a month credit for $69 a month.

14. Yes. Unless you're on two way sat or wireless Internet you still need your ADSL service via a fixed landline.

What you do get is a new phone number that's accessed via your VOIP account. People call that number and you get the call via VOIP. You make a VOIP call and those with caller ID will see your VOIP number as the calling number.

Some VOIP providers also allow you to have a slightly cheaper service without a VOIP number. I do this with Mynetfone. I don't pay the $10/mth service charge.

I don't need a VOIP number, anyway. It'd be pointless for me to have one as people calling me via PSTN from around here would be calling STD. You see, when a VOIP number is assigned to you, it is based on a geographic area. Currently the VOIP providers only cater for metro regions. So, I could get a Sydney based number, even though I live in rural Victoria. People next door calling my VOIP number would soon rack up some rather high STD charges if that were the case.

Depending on the hardware that you buy, you may need a VOIP number unless you decide to run say, 2 separate phone systems in the house. One for incoming calls and one for outbound calls. That makes things a bit complicated, particulary if you have teenagers who can't be bothered looking for the VOIP phone to make a call.

I have a VOIP adapter that's plugged into a cordless phone system. It can receive PSTN calls via the adapter which has a normal phone line plugged into it. It's also connected to my computer network/ADSL router for the outbound VOIP calls. So, if the internet is down I can make normal PSTN calls. Or I can make a call to numbers that VOIP doesn't support such as Telstra's 125111 number.

The other type of adapter only has provision for the network cable and the connection of the phone handset. So it can only receive and send VOIP calls. These adapters are cheaper. But if the 'net's down, then so to is the phone system, unless you have a separate phone connected directly into the PSTN service.

Look up Sipura SPA-2000 (single phone and network connections) and the SPA-3000, which has connections for phone line as well as phone and network/internet. I have the 3000. Works like a treat once you get it programmed right. Heaps of info on the whirlpool website.

15. Well not quite exactly the truth. Naked DSL (ULL) allows for DSL without PSTN and it is available in Australia. Just that the price of using it, people might as well stick with a landline provider. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_DSL

16. What speed link do you have with your ISP? Also did you try different codecs as different codecs do require certain bandwidth to be ok.

17. ill stick with using voip at work and leaving it there. we've got multiple offices in sydney(x3) melbourne(x2), brisbane (x1) darwin(x1) and new zealand (x2) and i help look after the backend. switches with POE, cisco call manager. All i can say is thank god i don't have anything to do with setting up the call plans and the trunking, i'll leave that to some other poor shmoe.

The only really neat feature is with the call plans, if a call is to the cbd of another state, it'll get routed through our wan, and pop out at the pstn endpoint of another site and only be a local call. If it is a long distance call not in the "cbd" area, then the local call manager makes an outbound call directly to the number. Some pretty tricky stuff!

My problem is i use my mobile too much to really justify getting voip or anything like that.

18. i cant really answer that cause i dont know enough about it. But i we did have the nerds out to try and improve the quality but they couldnt do it either.

oh and we have 512k adsl.

19. I got rid of my phone line and only use voip. I am with Engin and run it over Optus Cable, best think I ever did.

You will find loss of quality unless you priorities the engin packets on your firewall. If you do that it is awesome and cheap.