Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I love splitting

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, May 22, 2011.

1. Seriously, it has to be the most fun you can have while riding in a straight line.

That's all.

2. Haha. I remember the first time I split between two moving cars, I gripped the grips so hard and gritted my teeth. What was your first time like?

3. first time I did it the gap between the two cars was so wide a car would have fit.

4. I've yet to see that happen, will definitely take the opportunity when it arises.

5. I have just started splitting a bit more regularly, after initially declaring that I would never do it. So it is something of a guilty pleasure. But it is all part of the beautiful smooth flow - the same 'beauty of motion' as taking a nice long sweeping bend at full speed - that makes motorcycling awesome.

Great thread Lilley :)

KN

6. my bars are wide on the motard so i have to wheelie when i split.

7. Yeh the only thing better is going through on the back wheel.

8. Hang on!! Someone must have hijacked your log in. This cannot be a post from the same Lilley that was arguing that there was NO GOOD REASON to split at ANY TIME????

:?

9. I split the 2nd time I rode a motorcycle and I do it at every single set of lights where there's not a free lane.

I'm also the type of rider where if I'm splitting to the front and the lights go green with 3 odd cars between me and that sweet, sweet pole position, I just twist the wrist and blast my way through.

I don't split between traffic travelling above about 50-60kph though, unless it's like an 80kph zone and two people are hogging both lanes at 20kph under. I follow until I lose my cool then I highbeam, if still no movement I split on through at pace.

10. I love rootin

11. ahahaha oh man i remember that.

love to know lilleys response :D maybe he's finally seen the light! =D>

12. Ditto... I don't split too often and inevitably it's because cages are "racing" each other 15kph (or more) under the limit holding up everyone. I'm also guilty of morphing a filter into a split if I'm close to the front of the lights (and I deem it reasonably safe to do so).

13. If you like splitting, try splitting a car or two that are going in opposit directions... That's cool! And a bit of a challenge! :)

14. Welcome to riding, it's good to have you with us.

15. And the basis of probably my worst near miss ever :shock:.

16. Testify, brothers and sisters!
    I split, and yea, it was pleasing unto the divine eye.

17. i think it's cool he's finally splitting :) i don't do it often on the triumph, but did it often on the kawasaki. made many a fun and quicker morning!

18. Go back and read it again. I can't remember which thread it was and don't have time to find it, but:

Firstly, I said I can't think of a good reason to split, not that there wasn't any. In fact I think I asked chef that if there was, what it was.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure I exempted for fun and to beat traffic. If I didn't it was because we were looking at it from a safety advantage viewpoint. I'm certain I mentioned the latter.

Lastly, I don't really have a justifiable reason for doing so other than I want to.

@Lowercase: I've been splitting for ages, but went on a warpath yesterday.
    @Raven: I've done the centreline before once or twice, including round an (open) corner. Does that count?

19. Ah yeah that's right, i remember that. Mate there are a shitload of safety reasons to split traffic, most of us don't even notice them anymore. It's not until we're forced not to split that they become apparent again. I listed them in a thread yonks ago.