Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I love riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by oohsam, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wooot!
    Picked up my bike this morning from Heidelberg. Rode it into the city for work. First time on the road. Stalled as soon as I left the dealer but that got my hand used to the friction point. Have not stalled since...

DId a few laps around the block to get used to the brakes, gears and clutch. Was loving it....Rode it in to the city, was a little scary but always made sure I had enough space.

Rode it home in peak hour traffic down princess hwy. Did not lane split at the traffic lights although I was tempted. Then I went to every friends house in the neighbourhood to show them my new toy. Rode around the streets like I was homeless for hours...

Got home and made some room in the garage for my new toy and spent about 15 mins looking at it. Im so happy.

In the first day of riding I've picked up and learnt so many things. My cornering technique is really good, im good with gears, only trouble I have is trying to work out which foot to put down at the lights. I put the bike into nuetral when im stopped at the lights so i can give my hand a rest....so I put my left foot down. But as the lights sequeance is about to change I switch feet, put it into first then switch feet again...seems a little complex...am I doing it right?

Got stuck on a steep hill today with that problem. Had to have my foot on the brake, when I went to change to first had to switch feet, lights changed and i was a little slow off the mark...

I'll work it out. but apart from that - I love this game.
    THe info on this site was invaluable. OH also got caught out with the "indicator on" as per every noob. Had a nice old bloke pull up and tell me i been driving for a few k's with my indicator on LOL>
  2. That's one of the reasons I just stay in first with the clutch disengaged :grin:
  3. If you keep your right foot on the brake, and always put your left foot down, it makes it easier when you're doing hill starts. If you are going to be stopped for a while, put it in neutral and put both feet down.
  4. Great a mystery bike.

what did you buy.
  5. sorry, I thought it was in my sig...I got a Hyosung GT250r. Say what you will, I love it. Great first bike.
  6. It's a great theory but it's fcuking hard to sit cross legged on the bike and still reach the levers. :shock:
  7. keep it in gear at the lights so you can get out of trouble if need be.

left foot on the ground, right foot on the brake.
  8. nuffin gets past seany :rofl:
  9. :LOL: :LOL:
  10. Dohhh, don't you know that the bikes outside Australia are left hand driven?
  11. Trust YOU to pick up on 'minor details' :LOL: :LOL:
  12. Easy..just face backwards! Bit hard to reach the bars now. :-k

:rofl: :rofl:
  13. This point has been argued adinfinitum, but since you are just starting out, it would be best to use your left foot down if THAT feels the most natural for you. It leaves your right foot free to use the rear brake while at the lights etc.

I personally use my right foot, but then I also use my front brake while at lights and on hills etc, so I don't need that foot for braking.

I also hit neutral once I have a car sitting behind me, or know I am not going to get rear ended, and it's a long light. But for safety it is good to leave it in gear....You know..."do as I say, not as I do"... :LOL:

Just keep on getting out there so that you can settle into a functional set of road crafts as soon as possible.
  14. Thanks raven. Thats real helpfull. I cant wait to finish work and scoot home to ride my bike.!!
  15. They didn't teach left from right at my school :(

Ok I'll edit my post, make you all look silly for picking on me...
  16. Good on you. Did you buy your gear from Riders Edge, those guys are great I bought all my gear from them. They have a nice IXON range.
  17. nah i got it all from stafford motors (yamaha). THey ordered it all in for me..they were great.
  18. You only spent 15 mins looking at it :shock: . I spent hours looking at mine after I picked it up :p . Get back out there boy :LOL:
  19. Dont just look, pull it apart, thats the fun bit!
  20. Attempting to put it back together, slightly less fun.

Anytime I take something apart I have pieces left over when trying to put it back together. Somehow things usually work, too......