Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I learned Something Today - My fault not really a rant.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by slik50, May 7, 2009.

1. Hi,

I was riding to work this morning and joined the end of a queue waiting for a "lollipop" guy to change his sign form stop to slow.

Anyway I was just waiting when the van in front of me gets impatient and starts to reverse.

I'm not immediately concerned because "I have a horn". I start honking and the van continues moving. When I realise he cannot hear me I paddle backwards and then move forwards to his right.

When I get close enough I slap the back corner of the Van and he stops. Now this is where I learned two things:

1. It is definitely a nicer feeling to say "No harm done" when someone has made a genuine mistake and apologises.

2. Never pull up behind a vehicle that does not have a useable rear window. In this case the van was signwritten. and the guy could not see me in his mirrors.

This incident was my fault because I did not make sure I was visible, and I was stupid enough to think my hown could alert anyone to my presence.

Anyway I just thought I would share.

Rob

2. #2 gsxxer, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. Yep. Truck horn on the front fender will fix that.

4. [off topic]
    Marklar, these Marklars want to change your Marklar. They don’t want this Marklar or any of his Marklars to live here because it’s bad for their Marklar. They use Marklar to try and force Marklars to believe their Marklar. If you let them stay here, they will build Marklars and Marklars. They will take all of your Marklars and replace them with Marklars. These Marklars have no good Marklars to live on Marklars so they must come here to Marklar. Please, let these Marklars stay where they can grow and prosper without any Marklars, Marklars or Marklars.

As useless as it is, this was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw "I learned something today".
    [/off topic]

I'm glad you didn't get run over. Exit strategies are important.

5. It's not wrong to pull up behind a vehicle with no usable rear window, you just have to pull up to the right (prefered) or left, so that you can see his eyes in his mirrors, and therefore he can see you. In traffic, I most often place myself in a position so that I can split past the vehicle at any time I choose, so that I can get out of the way of trouble.

An upgrade to your horn is also a good idea. I installed a Stebel Compact Nautilus horn, and it has made a great improvement. Now, when someone moves into my lane, I blast my horn at them, and then after they complete moving into my lane, forcing me to take evasive action, they wave to me. I'm not kidding. This exact scenario happened to me last Tuesday. Some drivers are just unbelievable!

By the way, the van driver was entirely at fault. If it had been a small car behind him, he still would have reversed into it, or forced it to move back. Of course, being in the right doesn't really compensate for damage, injuries, or death.

Keep learning.