Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I Landed on Somone's Windscreen

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by solidsk8, Sep 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. P_20160915_093521_zps0jiimyir.

When I started riding about 8 years ago I learned a lot from this forum by reading about all your near misses and crashes, so, since I had one of my own on Friday, I wanted to post about it here.

Also, I need to vent :)

I was on my way to uni, travelling in a 50 zone. When I was about 4-5 metres from an oncoming car in the other lane, the young female driver attempted a right turn across my lane. She was oblivious of my presence.

I knew immediately when she started turning it was too late: There was not enough space to avoid a collision.

A few expletives went through my head as I applied my brakes to the best of my ability, and I steered the bike a little to the left at the last moment, just before impact, so I was flung sideways onto her windscreen, but not before I felt my foot get caught between the bike and her car for a split second.

Above the waste I felt fine, but my right leg was in a lot of pain. I feared the worst but it turned out, after a trip to the hospital, that my only injury is a sprained foot/ankle and a little bruising.

Miraculously the bike stayed upright, leaning against her car bonnet for support. Besides a few scratches on the handle bar, and perhaps a couple of scratches on the side, it came away unscathed. (TTR250 btw)

Anyway, I did not expect her to turn right in front of me, but I should have. If I had have expected her to, I might have had a better reaction time. Yes, it was her fault, the crash was unavoidable after she made her turn, and this makes me angry, but still, I feel a little disappointed in myself as well.

I was travelling in the right hand wheel track, which meant I couldn't steer away from it. I had no where to go. In saying that, I prefer to travel in the right hand wheel track because I believe it makes me more visible to drivers in the other lane, and it makes me feel like I'm "owning my lane". Anyone have any thoughts on this? Would travelling in the left hand wheel track be safer in this instance, or in the centre of my lane?

I feel that I got away pretty lucky in this collision. If this happened at higher speeds it would have been much worse. Now my wife wants me to give up the bike. I say never.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Wow, so glad you got away with minor injuries.

Question: did she have her indicator on? Normally I travel in the right hand track but I also move across when I see someone indicating to turn across my lane, Hard to do that though when there is no indication.

I don't feel there is much more you can do in that kind of situation and I reckon you did the best you can.

Don't give up the bike but maybe do something nice for the missus :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Glad you are OK, would appear to be failure to give way on her part so should be a No Fault on your insurance. As Sim said was her indicator on?

In terms of wheel track it is not good to get into the mindset of one track being best, move away from danger so sometimes left track is best, sometimes right sometimes center. Moving from one to another also puts relative movement into the perception of other drivers so you are more likely to be seen and perceived.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. I don't remember noticing her indicator, so perhaps not, but I don't know for sure. In my opinion I wasn't paying enough attention to her car before she turned, which is why I feel disappointed.

Good call cjvfr, I think I should move around in my lane a bit more in future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wow glad you're ok.

Sounds like you did all you could to avoid / minimise the incident.

Hope the foots heals quickly and your back on the bike soon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sage advice :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. To me I like to get as much space away from cars as I can, something similar happened to me on an expressway recently. I was in the right lane traveling alone a touch over the limit when a car I was passing in the lane next to me started moving over on me.I caught it just as I was slightly behind and got the horn on and braked so no accident. I had virtually ignored him as there was no one in front of him so I DIDN'T EXPECT the move. I was fully away to the right side in the lane though so had maximum space to deal with it. It's the NOT EXPECTING bit that almost bit me.

8. Wow, happy days, you got off lightly. Hope the foot stops hurting soonest.

9. Right wheel track is my 'place to be' UNLESS their is oncoming traffic, then I move to the left to provide 'buffer'.

This would have afforded you (more) time and space to take action, and would have made you more visible to her (especially if she was in dense traffic)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I think cjvfrcjvfr said it best, position yourself in your lane where you are most visible and have options/escape routes. always expect a cager to do something stupid.

glad you're relatively ok. I'm presuming she stopped and was apologetic and said SMIDSY.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The only other thing I would suggest to look out for is watch the wheel.
    If the front hubcap is still visible it means the front of the car is pointed past your right shoulder and you should be OK.
    The moment it disappears, particularly if you can see the tyre tread and it's moving, you are in great danger and need to do something about it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wow..glad you're ok..

13. Yikes! Glad nothings broken.

14. What about middle of your lane? Would give you a chance to veer left or right if need be. I tend to stay as far away from oncoming traffic as I can just in case the oncoming driver is having a micro sleep. Glad you're ok. Keep the dream alive.

15. Glad you're ok mate.
    Riding in modern traffic is becoming a scarier prospect these days.
    So many inattentive drivers......
    If it's not lack of attention, it's the poison of the smart phone...
    Until they make it a blanket rule, get caught using your phone while driving, lose your license.
    Just like drink driving. Just as dangerous, if not not more dangerous.. Not to say that the female driver in question here was using a mobile devcie.
    Who knows ?
    I still see morons with phones up to ears, so arrogantly too, and some still head bobbing while driving.
    When will they learn ??

16. Yes I have thought of a technical solution such as a jammer but I think that would make the situation worse if you force a drop out of their call as you are approaching they would just get more distracted trying to re-establish the call. It is a social education problem coupled with a big stick fine structure that is the only way you can overcome the issue.

17. Big stick approach can be the only solution. Like drink driving. Lose your license on the spot. End of story.
    These damn smart phones are creating a new silent danger to all those who use the roads.
    Facebook, emails, and all that other shit can wait. I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 1

18. So the obvious question for me, is if she turned across in front of you, she was presumably turning into something, either a side street or a drive way. The presence of a side street ALWAYS raises the possibility of an oncoming vehicle turning into it. BUFFER, move sideways in your lane and get the brakes set up. Might not have saved you this time, but then again a few less metres stopping distance just might have too. Driveways are a bit harder as there can be a lot of them and unless the vehicle is indicating you probably wouldn't necessarily assume that they're going to turn.

So, since indicators are regarded by many cagers as a decorative accessory only to be used if there is someone to see them, you can guarantee that these guys who haven't seen you won't bother to use the pretty sparkly orange things on the corners either.

What they usually will do is slow down for the corner. So if you see the bonnet dipping as a car approaches a side street or obvious drive way, then it makes sense to throw out the anchors pronto. Some of them won't slow down for the turn, especially in a low speed zone, but they will often decide to swing wide for the corner, so there is another clue, that they're going to hurl their cage into your path, if they veer wide as they approach the turn off.

I don't know if either of these would have helped you this time. Sometimes the gods just decide to drop you on someone's windscreen, the gods are like that, unreliable, temperamental bastards to a deity.

Glad you're OK and hope the foot heals up quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1