Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I know Im not that big, but your could have held my clutch in for me

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by HB, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Last Sunday, coming back from Ocean Grove on the Bellarine Hwy just past Leopold on my way back towards Geelong.

Sitting at a red light, happy with the world, had just had a nice ride, great afternoon tea & catch up with old friend when an elderly driver pulls up next to me. I thought I was doing the right thing, being in the right wheel track of the left hand lane (it's 2 lanes wide here). She came up that close to me, the end of my handlebar was less than 10 cm from her driver side mirror.

I was stationery so wouldn't exactly call this a near miss, just a wtf moment, except she kept going forward while the lights were still red, and as she did was swinging slightly to the right of the lane to do her left turn being too close to the gutter. Thinking maybe she hadn't seen me (or the red light) and there was traffic coming across the intersection so used my horn.

She didn't even look in my direction. Fortunately the driver to my right heard the horn, was looking at me as I moved over into his lane so crisis averted.
  2. I had to read this a few times before I realised she snuck up on your left!

Old people hey.

I've had that happen to me - and I had my left indicator on at the time! (turning left from Waverley Road into Warrigal Road).

added: I now try not to leave room for the idiots to sneak up on the left.
  3. It's freaky who we share the roads with HB. Be aware there's more of them out there.
  4. Own your lane.

When you come up to an intersection especially... don't give the ****ers and room on either side.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. #5 smileedude, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Not another thread on filtering.
  6. +1 on this..
  7. Happened a lot to me lately as well. Really makes me shake my head

So what I do now is sit smack bang on the middle of the lane to prevent anyone sneaking up on either side, but still allow other riders filter up.
  8. #8 titus, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Exactly. The sheer hypocrisy is astounding.
    I mean really, where was the danger?

9. No one wants the cages to do it.
  10. yep we all learn, i try to teach the guy that i ride with, own your lane otherwise it will be taken advantage of lol