Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I helped a rider avoid a u turn SMIDSY today

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robsalvv, Aug 9, 2012.

1. On my way to work today in the cage, I turned left at a round about and spotted a 4wd 30m up ahead on the right, indicator on, wheels turned and about to pull a u turn across my path, but it stopped. The female driver saw me. But she didn't see the bike that was travelling the same direction as her, i.e.,., oncoming towards me. It would have been a classic u turn SMIDSY crash. I'm glad I was there.

I've been thinking about it a bit today though. Apart from the bike blind driver, something was niggling away at me about this incident, and it dawned on me. The rider did nothing. He/she hadn't buffered or slowed down or taken any evasive move or preparation. The rider had completely failed to spot the hazard, failed to see the indicator, the movement, the turned front wheel... he/she was bog center of their lane and that's where they stayed.

Unfortunately, they will become a statistic at some point if that is the typical vigilance they maintain.

Let this be a reminder folks, scan well ahead, use what you know about the vehicles you see and factor it into your riding plan. Make your ride a mentally active one.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Just gotta say - that's awesome! It's amazing how fate/karma/aligned stars or what ever works in life. Sounds like if you were delayed by 30 seconds at the lights, or at home, or work , the world would have 1 less rider in it..
  3. A classic case of 'Roadcraft - learn it or die".