Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

i have no idea bout bikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by yasmin, Nov 8, 2011.

1. hey guys, im yasmin.
    im just doing some research for a friend.

i have no idea bout bikes at all so i guess im here to get some answers.
    we love love love the look of vintage bikes.
    i did want to know if there is such thing as a vintage bike that doesnt have a kick start, but has a key ignition start instead.
    does such a bike exist, or is there an option to add an ignition start to a vintage bike.

i have to say we do like the yamaha sr400. love the look. is there any other bike that anyone can recommend that is similiar.

a lightweight bike is prefered.

any information would b really appreciated.

thanx for your time :)

2. Hello yasim and welcome, to you and your friend.

Electric start is fairly modern invention, and genuine vintage bikes mostly don't have it.

3. mmm vintage looking with today's modern conveniences..
    How bout this...

Attached Files:

4. There are plenty of modern look bikes with vintage styling. If you don't know much about bikes they're probably a better bet; easier to maintain, better suspension and brakes, electric start, etc.

5. Definitely check out Royal Enfields.

The 'newest' models are quite reliable, contrary to what their reputation might be, and the 2011 models have both kick and electric starts.

Very nice looking bikes, and extremely fun.

6. I know somewhere you might be able to get a cheap Royal Enfield :D

7.  Top
  8. 250px-Yamaha_SR_500.

That's the SR500. Here's a customised 400.

sr400tr2.

I think she likes the Cafe Racer style, and why not. So the answer is simple, just fork over the cash to Deus Ex Machina LOLS

9. What do you mean by vintage? Some people think 70s bikes are vintage...

10. Well the law regards anything over 30 years vintage IIRC. When most speak of vintage I think they mean 60's or earlier though.

11. Endfield is dangerously underpowered in todays traffic.

is'nt there some new suzuki 250 with retro styling

12. Yasmin, yes electric start can be added to old bikes (I saw such a '50s BSA recently) but the cost is prohibitive. Plus it's a sacreligeous crime to cut and modify sacred Brit iron.

I take it what you're looking for is a modern retro.

The W650 has both electric and kick (my review posted yesterday) https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=127092

I've had an SR for years. If you're concerned about starting issues, buy the 400, not the 500. The 400 kickstarts fine once you get used to it. Again, forget adding an electric leg - been looked at, once in a while done, is probihitely expensive.

The Royal Enfield. But their build quality is crap - 10,000km blow-up intervals - but that can be sorted with $1k of English aftermarket parts. And the jury's out on the new Enfields (they changed the enguine a couple of years ago) - but I'd be wary, the Electra was a new Chennai upgrade a decade back and they are the worst of the worst, guarenteed to blow up, guarenteed not to have to oversized pistons available, etc etc.

There are others: Suzuki TU250, grey imported Honda GB (250, 400, 500), 2000 model SR250....

13. That's why I chose my SR500 over an RE some years back - that evening I was merging on to the freeway with traffic merging on and off at the same time at 100kph (the old city-westgate set up - remember the madness?) and thought: I would die on an Enfield.

But the Enfield's not that bad, not enough to put me off. Depending on what you want, it's fine, and they pull away from the lights quite adequately. Plus, look at it this way: new rider gets on boy-racer crotch rocket and the bike's characteristics get the blood rushing and revs them up, and they over-cook it. Then the stray cats eat them. Alternatively, they get on an Enfield, feel chilled out and all-vintage because of it, and they always arrive home for dinner, albeit to a medium-rare steak.

Yasmin, check out Aussie Enfields and the SR500 Forum.

14. check out the yammaha SRV250,

Im going to assume you cannot ride a bike yet, and so a 250 will be legal for you to ride on your L plates.

Anyway its quite a rare and nice looking bike but its also fairly modern and shares many parts with the more common Virago 250.

15. Bollocks about their build quality. I'll agree that the Electra was horrid and I'll refuse to touch one. The older Bullets (Non Electra, and pre-'09) are invincible, as long as you know how to work with them. They were essentially '60s bikes built until the late 2000's.

The newer Enfields ('09 +) are of much better quality, although the earlier '09 bikes have a few more electrical issues. The jury certainly 'isn't out' on the newer Ennies. Not quite up to the Japanese standards though, but the engines are solid enough, and a few folk have clocked over 100,000km without any serious issues. They do require more attention than a jap bike, but nothing excessive. A few modifications and you can easily have something which can take over SR riders on the freeways.

Most people seem to give Enfields a bad name because they expect every bike made in the last 20 or so years to need little more than an oil change and chain adjustment.

I've riden many bikes, and nothing gives me a smile like an Enfield. I've been playing around on my new BMW 650, and while it gets the job done, it doesn't seem as rewarding as an Enfield. It gets the job done. I don't grin as much as on the Enfields.

Motorcycling isn't just about riding.

Anyway, I'll also agree that the grey imported Hondas and the Suzuki TU250 seem like great bikes. And the Yamaha SR400 and SR500 are bloody amazing.

16. I'm sorry Fronk, I'm just going on the experience of many RE owners. ;) There always seem to be people around who argue till their blue in the face and in theory against the reality of many owner's experiences. One sees these odd birds from time to time on Enfield forums. The RE rider with the biggest kms that I know, has rebuilt his Bullet 6 or 7 times. A week after going riding with me last summer, his rod threw itself through the cases. So this is not about false expectations.

How kms have you done on your Enfield? That might be a good indicator.

Motorcycling is or isn't just about riding, depending on the rider. Some people are happy to go little further than the end of the street before returning to the shed to tinker - their interest is the machine itself, and not really riding. But for others riding is kind of the point of motorcycling. Something like an RE offers a kind of middle-ground - it's very much about the experience of riding on this bike (though for some RE ownership is a shed-bound hobby).

I agree that an Enfield is one of the best bikes out there. But one can love something without being deluded about its faults; and newbies need to know what they're getting themselves into - over the years I've seen tears time and again. It doesn't matter that the Indian-produced Bullet it was designed well by the English in the 1950s (ahem), it's about the quality control at Chennai.

17. > Endfield is dangerously underpowered in todays traffic.

snort There's no such thing as dangerously underpowered, just dangerously underprepared.

[​IMG]

18. what's your point.
    postie bike is a hella lot faster than an Enfield

19. Anyway, back on point - the Yamaha XS650 and the Honda CB250/400/etc had both electric and kick start in the late seventies (or can have the electric added with little fuss) and look fantastic, although they're a 'classic' rather than a vintage.

600px-Yamaha_img_2227. - XS650

The Kawasaki W650 is a dreamboat of classic stylings. This is from the blog of a Netrider - though I can't remember who!

pic removed as it is toooo big, link preserved