Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I Have Acute 'earing

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Oct 11, 2012.

1. (OK, it's an old Yellowbeard joke...)

Recently got me ear re-pierced, after a while of not wearing an earring. Had a stud in it for a while but pulling the helmet on and of was driving the shaft of it into the side of my neck.

Changed to a ring, and it's better, but still smarts a bit going on and off. Part of that will be that it's only a couple of weeks old, but I suspect part is just the tight helmet liner.

Any hints/tips/approaches?

2. Loose the ear ring ya big jesse.

3. LOL - knew it had to be said, was taking bets with myself on who it'd be... ;)

4. So who won?

And yes I got the Yellowbeard reference....

5. I considered Loz... but seem to recall something about him having a Prince Albert and therefore being in no position to talk.

6. Geeezus..theres the quick and the dead around here, beat me by 1 millisecond.

7. I'm not interested in your jewellery, cloth-eyes!
    Now take that out before I nail yer tits to the table!

8. He's got an earing through his helmet?

Cheers JM

9. Is it the captive bead type? I have one in the top of my left ear & if the ball is in the wrong spot, it gets bloody painful.

Nothing you can do except helmet off, adjust, helmet back on.

I suspect yours will be ok once it's healed a bit more, if it's only on & off there's probably not much you can do about it.

10. I hardly ever wear earrings, if I do then it's most likely to be just studs. Maybe because I hardly ever wear them, the studs do annoy me when wearing a full face helmet. (Tried that only once when I had forgotten to take them off, took them out straight away because it annoyed me.)
    I've had my earholes for many years and never had trouble with them. But as I said, I hardly ever put earrings in nowadays. I don't even like leaving them in at night anymore, because they annoy me.

So I guess it will stop hurting when you put your helmet on/off when your ear is less sensitive. But you might never get used to the pressure that the tight fit of the helmet creates between your earring and your neck.

It comes down to whether you want to be 'pretty' or have a comfortable feeling when wearing your helmet.

11. Tape your ear - let it heal......it'll be fine.

12. ^This.

Probably only b/c it's new. I have sleeper earrings in (5 in total) and they don't give me any grief at all. I don't like studs myself; find them uncomfortable.

Also try pulling the straps on your helmet apart as you put your helmet on. Every little bit helps.

13. You will get used to it.
    The brain is an amazing thing in what it can ignore, like all of your clothes against your skin all the time.

You should also probably put a band aid on it while its still fresh, don't want to get anything nastie.